Reasons Why You Can't go Back to Push 1 or Love Push 2 ?

Discuss Push with other users.
starving student

Reasons Why You Can't go Back to Push 1 or Love Push 2 ?

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 am

from the little things to the big things that made you feel this way please share!

jestermgee

Re: Reasons Why You Can't go Back to Push 1 or Love Push 2 ?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 am

Well I can't go back to Push 1 because it's not in my possession anymore. I can't Love Push 2 because it never says I love you back, just seems one sided to me.

If it helps your mindset along I have not had any negative experiences that others have reported which isn't to say they don't exist, I just haven't had the issues reported. Personally once I adjusted my pad threshold to my style and got the hang of some of the new controls I couldn't be happier with MKII and have found myself more excited over it than MKI.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:37 am

thank you, hope more folks chime in too

Lowfront

Post by Lowfront » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Better layout, Pads, and Browsing.

Expensive but I'll get a lot of use out of it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:56 pm

I love it mainly because of ergonomics. Both Push do pretty much the same thing, but I find the new version's overall experience to be worth the upgrade.

-the user library is now the very first Place when Browsing. Superb! (I highly recommend making a few shortcuts in Places, each pointing to your Drumracks, Instrument Racks, FX racks and Clips, samples etc. This way they are immediately available to scroll through when pressing browse, instead of having to go all way to User Library - presets-instruments-drumrack/instrumentrack-yoursubfolders)
-the bigger colour screen with graphics etc is fantastic, which goes without saying. But it really is so much better to work with.
-browser is light years ahead in layout, speed and navigating. Consider how often you use this in Live, and it becomes a very big deal.
-Navigating racks is much clearer and faster - no endless diving getting lost. Racks withing racks are always visible across the top as are the devices within. You only dive a level down (double-clicking it) when actually accessing a device's inner banks, for the most part.
-unfolding of drum & instrument racks' chains and tweaking their volumes, pans and sends all at once, or individually.
-You can select any other track without having to leave Device mode. Something that was annoying with V1. On V1, if you were not in Track Mode, you either had to be in Note mode, and then you could only jump one track to your left or right, or hold down Select+track while in Session mode to jump.
-convert button - I use it all the time. Would not be happy to mouse around for this after getting used to it. They do need to add COnvert Sampler to Simpler though.
-independent colour schemes per track.
-pressing Master for a second time jumps back to the track you were last on. Been wanting this.
- "Press up/down arrow to edit play clip" is no more! Hallelujah. Instead, the secondary diamond of arrows would be pulsating gently in the direction you need to go to reach said clip. I'd buy Push 2 just for this. How I hated that infernal message.
-Simpler and audio clips' waveform display and working with it. Sure, you can look at the monitor, but then you keep needing to look up and down when nudging and so on. I'm sitting here with both Push(es?) plugged in side by side to compare for myself. The ease of using Simpler is lost when you have to keep looking between 2 screens, and you might as well use the mouse then. Once you have your slices, this is not really an issue anymore though, and you could just use your ears...but it's not the same.
-Encoder turning speed - on most parameters with V1, I need to turn an encoder once and a half/twice to go from 0-127. With macros I have to turn the knob twice for 0-127. On Push 2 it is one turn for either and without making them too sensitive. These encoders will be turning a lot, so yeah, it does make quite a difference.
-page&octave diamond to instantly jump between scenes of 8 horizontally and vertically. On Push you only needed to hold down one more button to go horizontally in blocks of 8, but all these little things add up.

There are tons of other updates all throughout this thing, and some of the points above might seem negligible, but if you consider how often you perform all these actions, they all amount to quite a lot.

Negative points would be having to use 2 hands to mute stuff, needing a power supply (I'm almost always at my desktop PC anyway so not a factor for me), and the occasional velocity bug. I must also admit the screen does update a bit too slow (9.5.1b3)when choosing between pads when you are nudging markers around. For playing it's irrelevant. Finally, it's one step backwards having to hold mute+device to deactive things. Push 1 is much faster in this regard. It's the one thing I miss. They can and should change mute and solo behaviour, making them into mode buttons like V1.

You can make exactly the same music and sound on Push 1. I just find Push 2 to make it all a lot more enjoyable.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:35 am

Push 1 was all about doing everything her way. She never made time for me and what I wanted.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 am

H20nly wrote:Push 1 was all about doing everything her way. She never made time for me and what I wanted.
:roll: :lol:

I had a lot of expectations for push 1 but they were never quite realised. Push 1 offers good control of Live and only falls short in a few places imo. Pxt picks up a good majority of those missed control functions. I had hoped Abes take it in the direction of some of the monome apps/devices. as in an adaptable interface for new creative devices. Even thought the Abes recent mention of monome
(https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/download-monome-terms/)
was some hint to a new device or script/s for push.

Anyhow credit to those who have realised devices along those lines like Isotonik with the asteroids series and skinnerbox time & timbre, dataflow for push chop devices not forgetting native kontrol. With these and push being updated by abes I could go back to push 1 and not be too disappointed actually. Also the m4l community will keep push 1 relevant for a while yet I think.
I have no expectations for push 2 other than general improvements in control of Live. Actually I'm finding I'm using the native live devices so much more than before.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 am

so you're saying you like push 2 because you like using the native devices more than before with push 2?

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Let me be the contrarian then! :P

I went back to Push 1. Loved the 2 but I returned it after Thanksgiving. I personally cannot justify the price and I make my living making music and using a Push pretty much daily. I've probably sold a dozen Push 1's for Ableton during the past 18 months to friends who've seen my vids of me using it, too, so I love the product itself. But the price of this thing doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint, especially since the secondary market for them is now so bad (flooded). If I thought I could get a decent price for my P1, I might have kept it. I miss the screen and pads but I'll live.

If I see a decent 20% off coupon I might buy one again. But I got zero interest in selling my near perfect OG Push after a week, so I'm not very encouraged and I don't like losing my ass this badly on gear.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:14 am

Breaks Dude wrote:Let me be the contrarian then! :P

Your opinion isn't contrary really. The points I made above about push 1 and third party support in my mind make push 1 the better device for creative composition currently. Tough decision to give up all of those great additions. push 2 offers a new way of working with samples so in my mind I gave up some tried and tested tools to try a different way of working (for me) with audio. This is what I was leaning towards anyway with dataflow's push chop devices. Would love to see these updated for push 2.

@staving student

Push 2 allows greater depth of control of Live and for the most part is pretty intuitive. Still not quite used to the mix section way of working but programming analog and operator is fast and fun as is using eq8 autofilter. Just some stock devices that are receiving a lot of abuse right now :twisted:

So could easily go back to push 1. Actually considered keeping both, but in the end...