Using Ableton Vocoder for Bass Sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
junqueira

Using Ableton Vocoder for Bass Sounds

Post by junqueira » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:18 am

I saw a tutorial a while back where they used the Ableton Vocoder for bass sounds. They used an external sound on an audio track to trigger the vocoder and create a cool sound. When I do this, I can never get the sound to be "Crisp". Does anyone use this technique? Can you offer tips?

chrissobo13

Re: Using Ableton Vocoder for Bass Sounds

Post by chrissobo13 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:52 am

The best I can suggest is to make sure your audio source for the vocoder really fills up the frequency spectrum first (assuming sub bass is already separate and filtered out of this part). Then divert the frequency bands in 2 or 3 different tracks. Process each separately and do your best to draw out the what makes each band tick, when you run it through the vocoder. Using high-res filter modulations and bit reduction/saturation can help make it a bit more vocally and also fill out the spectrum. Hope that helps!

junqueira

Post by junqueira » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 pm

chrissobo13 wrote:The best I can suggest is to make sure your audio source for the vocoder really fills up the frequency spectrum first (assuming sub bass is already separate and filtered out of this part). Then divert the frequency bands in 2 or 3 different tracks. Process each separately and do your best to draw out the what makes each band tick, when you run it through the vocoder. Using high-res filter modulations and bit reduction/saturation can help make it a bit more vocally and also fill out the spectrum. Hope that helps!
For sure Chrissobo,

I was hoping that I could do something from the source instead of relying on FX. The original sound thats triggering the vocoder does not have any processing and is way 'crispier' than the vocoded product. Here's the sound and a screenshot of what I'm working with:

1st Sound: Synth Trigger
2nd Sound: Audio being triggered by synth
3rd Sound: Vocoded sound
https://soundcloud.com/brysonprice/voco ... nt/s-K4CEp

Screenshot:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x292 ... 20AM_1.png

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 pm

I kinda like that middle sound (maybe triggered samples of dogs growling?) by themselves.

I'm not into dubstep, but you definitely have some nice production chops! Cheers.