Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Volkan Topal

Re: Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Sorry i misunderstood at first, i now plugged my headphones to the Korg and am playing back from live.. no audio unless i press keys myself in the korg

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

if i dont play anything all i get is silence.. and occasional statoc noise on right ear noise..? D:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:Sorry i misunderstood at first, i now plugged my headphones to the Korg and am playing back from live.. no audio unless i press keys myself in the korg
So somewhere from the MIDI clip to the MIDI inputs of the Korg is the problem.

Possible reasons
  • MIDI channels do not match
  • The cable is damaged
  • the MIDI interface is malfunctioning or isn't set up properly
  • the MIDI in port of the Korg is damaged or deactivated
  • The OS isn't set up properly for MIDI
Do you have another external MIDI unit you can try with instead? What results did you get with the MIDI ox app? Follow the signals from Live and out.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks, ill look into it tomorrow. I have a friend who has an external audio interface with Mac. I myself have windows 10. But i think the midi channels do match since i can see the channel changing in live when i change it from korg. and i put it to the korgs midi Ch from live. Also I dont think the cables are malfunctioning since i tried both cables on both midi sockets. Ill post here when i find out more. thanks alot!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Volkan Topal wrote:Sorry i misunderstood at first, i now plugged my headphones to the Korg and am playing back from live.. no audio unless i press keys myself in the korg
So somewhere from the MIDI clip to the MIDI inputs of the Korg is the problem.

Possible reasons
  • MIDI channels do not match
  • The cable is damaged
  • the MIDI interface is malfunctioning or isn't set up properly
  • the MIDI in port of the Korg is damaged or deactivated
  • The OS isn't set up properly for MIDI
Do you have another external MIDI unit you can try with instead? What results did you get with the MIDI ox app? Follow the signals from Live and out.
Hello again. OK! i tried it with my friends macbook pro, logic pro x, with a scarlett (i think) external audio interface. I plugged the midi accordingly and set the channels. We used headphones to korgs headphones insert, to monitor the audio.. EVERYTHING WORKED AS IT SHOULD! my korg sent data to logic and when i played the midi track back from logic, i heard sounds from my korg in real time! So i believe the problem has something to do with the midi out from audio interface to 'midi in' in my korg? is my korg not receiving the midi data FROM ableton live? cheers!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:So i believe the problem has something to do with the midi out from audio interface to 'midi in' in my korg? is my korg not receiving the midi data FROM ableton live? cheers!

That would appear to be likely, yes. Also in line with your symptoms as you say that when you play on the Korg you get sound out of it — probably locally triggered — and MIDI is recorded into Live'sclip, but when MIDI is played back from said clip there is no sound.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

excatly.. sends midi to live but dosnt receive.. :( do u have any ideas how to fix this? can my soundcard be broken then or can it be just some kind of setting i have? really frustrating when i have no idea whats the cause of it!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:excatly.. sends midi to live but dosnt receive.. :( do u have any ideas how to fix this? can my soundcard be broken then or can it be just some kind of setting i have? really frustrating when i have no idea whats the cause of it!
Well, you need to follow the signals. Do you have any other external MIDI gear you could test with? Is there a MIDI signal indicator on the MIDI output in your device? Can you generate some MIDI in the MIDI-OX program and send it out? Does that stream trigger any sounds? Can you set the Korg to respond to all MIDI channels?
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi again. Im losing hope. I went as far as formatting my SSD where my windows is and installing a fresh windows 10 PRO.. I was hoping it wud fix the problem since i had a few weird audio bugs sometimes too. but no, still dosnt work. Maybe my soundcard is broken even though i just ordered it this summer. I dont know.. midi 'in' works from ext instruments but 'out' from my audio interface still dosnt. Also the only external MIDI gear i have other than the korg is my midi keybooard akai mpk49 (which works, just like korg works sending MIDI TO Ableton) and Novation Launchapd which my pc or ableton wont even recognize... on a Macbook pro ableton did recognize it...

I dont have a midi indicator on the korg and i dont have midi-ox at the moment with this new windows. However midi ox recognized the midi 'IN' from korg, but i dont know how to test midi out with it, since if i have ableton open, and i open the midi-ox, i get an 'undefined external error' and it wont open the input. Ill test more tomorrow and try to make the midi-ox send output, but i fear its no help. So yeah im not sure what to do now maybe ill test the soundcard with my friends PC and buy a new one if its broken :( tired of this hassle

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:
I dont have a midi indicator on the korg and i dont have midi-ox at the moment with this new windows. However midi ox recognized the midi 'IN' from korg, but i dont know how to test midi out with it, since if i have ableton open, and i open the midi-ox, i get an 'undefined external error' and it wont open the input. Ill test more tomorrow and try to make the midi-ox send output, but i fear its no help. So yeah im not sure what to do now maybe ill test the soundcard with my friends PC and buy a new one if its broken :( tired of this hassle
I think I gathered from the MIDI-Ox site that you can generate some MIDI inside the application only. I don't think this is overly complicated and with that you could at least test the MIDI out from the sound card (or a MIDI device), the MIDI cable and the MIDI In on the Korg. This would narrow down the issue.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:43 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Volkan Topal wrote:
I think I gathered from the MIDI-Ox site that you can generate some MIDI inside the application only. I don't think this is overly complicated and with that you could at least test the MIDI out from the sound card (or a MIDI device), the MIDI cable and the MIDI In on the Korg. This would narrow down the issue.
Hi, Ok i tried it out, and this is what i got

so this is what i got.. It shows atleast on that pic that it wud be sending but i guess my microkorg never receives those messages because i still get no sound! And i know that microkorg is not broken because i just tried it at my friends studio and it worked as it should.

Can the MIDI breakout cables 'out' be broken? or is this something else.. The fact that midiox showed its sending data out means that my soundcard IS sending it though so its not broken?

Also, i got the launchpad working just had to dl the drivers lol. When i tweak stuff in ableton, my launchpad recognizes it.. but with Korg it dosnt recognize get the midi information to do stuff it seems.

EDIT: I tried using a shitty midi to usb dongle, this time and with this it works! its so shit that i cant use it for any real work but the midi in and out works. I put headphones in korg and midi cables to the usb-midi dongle which connects to PC.. I can now play and record stuff to ableton and when i play it back i hear it from my headphones that are connected to korg.. Is this some windows not supporting midi issue or soundcard driver issue or such?? I have latest driver for my soundcard though.. cheers!
Last edited by Volkan Topal on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:31 am

Volkan Topal wrote: Can the MIDI breakout cables 'out' be broken? or is this something else.. The fact that midiox showed its sending data out means that my soundcard IS sending it though so its not broken?
It would seem more likely now something relating to the audio interface's MIDI functionality is broken, like the MIDI out cable, but these results don't tell us anything for sure other than what's obvious; No MIDI is coming out to the microkorg. Was the output device in this case your ESI? Are you running the 1.21 driver?

Can you borrow another MIDI interface and try with that instead?
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:33 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Volkan Topal wrote: Can the MIDI breakout cables 'out' be broken? or is this something else.. The fact that midiox showed its sending data out means that my soundcard IS sending it though so its not broken?
It would seem more likely now something relating to the audio interface's MIDI functionality is broken, like the MIDI out cable, but these results don't tell us anything for sure other than what's obvious; No MIDI is coming out to the microkorg. Was the output device in this case your ESI? Are you running the 1.21 driver?

Can you borrow another MIDI interface and try with that instead?
Hi, yeah my output device was set to ESI juli@ in ableton if thats what u meant. I have the latest 1.21 driver yeah. Should i try with older driver?
unfortunately i dont know anyone with an interface that supports midi that i could borrow. The one i tested Korg with at my friends, has a thunderbolt and my pc dosnt.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am

Volkan Topal wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Was the output device in this case your ESI? Are you running the 1.21 driver?
Hi, yeah my output device was set to ESI juli@ in ableton if thats what u meant.

No, I meant when you used MIDI-Ox.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:12 am

hmm i suppose :D