Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Volkan Topal

Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Post by Volkan Topal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Hey,

I have korg microkorg and id like to use it with my Live 9. I watched tutorials how to set it up with live and my korg does send midi and audio to ableton. However when i play the midi notes inside Live 9 i only see midi data being played but no audio! I cant get it to work so that it triggers audio and midi when i play it back. So that live kind of controls my microkorg. Only way i get audio recorded is if i record the audio channel and get a audio file of it... I have a juli@ ESI soundcard and ive plugged my korgs Midi in to the Julie@s out and korg out to juli@ts in.. and they both combine in 1 cable that goes to midi I/O in the soundcard. I also plugged my korgs audio outputs to julie@ audio input.. I think ive plugged everything correctly?!

cheers!

EDIT: Also when using the external instrument plugin, i see midi and audio when i press notes... but again when i play the recorded notes back i hear no audio :( and i also cant find korg microkorg in the control surfaces in midi preferences if that matters

EDIT2: i can control the parameters inside Live or a Vst inside Live through my korg, but i still just cant get it working so that when notes are hit when playing it back, the korg would play!

Stromkraft

Re: Korg microkorg + live 9 cant hear sound in playback

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:52 am

Volkan Topal wrote:Hey,

I have korg microkorg and id like to use it with my Live 9. I watched tutorials how to set it up with live and my korg does send midi and audio to ableton. However when i play the midi notes inside Live 9 i only see midi data being played but no audio! I cant get it to work so that it triggers audio and midi when i play it back. So that live kind of controls my microkorg. Only way i get audio recorded is if i record the audio channel and get a audio file of it... I have a juli@ ESI soundcard and ive plugged my korgs Midi in to the Julie@s out and korg out to juli@ts in.. and they both combine in 1 cable that goes to midi I/O in the soundcard. I also plugged my korgs audio outputs to julie@ audio input.. I think ive plugged everything correctly?!

cheers!

EDIT: Also when using the external instrument plugin, i see midi and audio when i press notes... but again when i play the recorded notes back i hear no audio :( and i also cant find korg microkorg in the control surfaces in midi preferences if that matters

EDIT2: i can control the parameters inside Live or a Vst inside Live through my korg, but i still just cant get it working so that when notes are hit when playing it back, the korg would play!
Is the track set to "auto" in the I/O section?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:20 am

Yeah if i use the external instrument in the monitoring is set to auto.. if i dont use it i have the midi channel in 'auto' and audio channel is 'in'

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 am

Volkan Topal wrote:Yeah if i use the external instrument in the monitoring is set to auto.. if i dont use it i have the midi channel in 'auto' and audio channel is 'in'
But your audio track is muted.

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 am

ok sorry that was a bad pic :D, even if i unmute the audio track and then play the midi track from live, theres no sound it only plays the midi and shows that midi is being received..

here im playing back what i recorded from korg.. when i recorded it, it showed audio and midi being received and i heard it too. but when playing it back it only shows midi being triggered but no audio. It dosnt matter if i turn the audio track from 'in' to 'auto' either..

cheers

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Volkan Topal wrote: Image
Doesn't show. Use Imgur instead.

At any rate your signal with Ext. Instr. should be exclusive of the audio track. It's better you set monitor to "off" on the audio track and rely only on the Ext. Instr. track for monitoring, which you'd keep set to "auto" in the monitoring section. Focus on this first as the hardware latency possibilities outweigh the alternative, is my suggestion. You can still record to the audio track, just don't rely on it for monitoring

Mute either of the tracks according to what you expect to listen to. What's that "MIDI" track for?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Ok so the midi track on the first pic was just when i was testing around different solutions.. heres a picture of me playing with the keys of microkorg
Image i get midi and sound

and heres when i play the track back from ableton.. no sound, but only midi triggers
what am i doing wrong? the pics are on imgur now hope it shows, cheers

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 pm

It's actually necessary to include the file extension. Look at the source if you quote this post:
Volkan Topal wrote: heres a picture of me playing with the keys of microkorg

Image i get midi and sound

heres when i play the track back from ableton.. no sound, but only midi triggers

In the first example. WHERE specifically do you get sound?
In the second example, MIDI triggers where? In the Volca? But no sound from it?
Or what did you mean?

This sounds to me like an external signal path problem. Maybe it would be helpful
if you described every step while you re-connect everything physically. That is,
disconnect everything and in a new fresh project set, at every step, check for
presence of MIDI and audio as you set this up. Quite commonly when a problem
behaviour defies reason that's because your setup isn't what you think.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Does it work if you disable the record switch for the track playing the midi? (In the second pic)

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for bearing with me, ive never done this before.

Sorry what did u mean by including file extension? were you referring to the pictures?

Anyway, im gonna try explain as well as i can what i did. I took the connections out and replugged.. I plugged my midi cables.. Korg midi IN to soundcard Midi OUT.. no midi is being sent to live 9.. then i put korg midi OUT to soudncard midi IN.. now i see midi triggered when i press my microkorgs keys.. my midi cables go into this breakout cable that then goes into a Midi I/O Socket.. then I Plugged 2 audio cables (TRS to RCA) from the Korgs Audio Output to my PCI soundcards (ESI Juli@) Line ins (RCA on that end).. thats how my cables are set. Now with external instrument plugin, set like in the pictures i receive audio & midi from my korg. But again, when i play back the midi track ive recorded i dont hear a thing!
In the first example. WHERE specifically do you get sound?
From my speakers and u can see in Live, the audio is also showing.. that was when i was pressing the Microkorgs keys.
n the second example, MIDI triggers where? In the Volca? But no sound from it?
Or what did you mean?
I meant that i can see the midi triggering in the external instrument plugin down there, when i play back the midi track, Sorry that was probably confusing.. It seems to be 'triggering' no matter what, if i play back midi track. even if i dont have any ext instruments connected.
Does it work if you disable the record switch for the track playing the midi? (In the second pic)
Hey, no nothing new happens.. it only rolls through the midi track without any sound. Cheers!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Volkan Topal wrote: Sorry what did u mean by including file extension? were you referring to the pictures?
Yes. You forgot to add a ".png" extension at the end of the URL. When I added that to your image URLs they work.

As for the rest. have you checked set the MIDI channel on the Volca? On what MIDI channel are you sending out as set in External Instrument? Channel 1? So set the volca to MIDI channel 1. What happens?
"Specifying global parameter settings Setting the MIDI channel
  • 1. While holding down the MEMORY button, turn on the volca keys.
  • 2. Keyboard buttons 1 to 16 correspond to the MIDI channels 1 to 16. Press the button that corresponds to the desired channel, and the LED below the keyboard button will light up."
From volca keys Owner's Manual.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Hey, thanks for the clarification.

just to make sure, i have the korg microkorg, not volca, i believe theyr different instruments :D

But anyway yes ive went to the MIDI tab of microkorg and set the midi CH to 1, like in Live too. I dont quite understand whats going on.. for example, ive set the midi ch of Korg to 1. But no matter what channel i set in the external instrument plugin, i still receive midi data? even if 'external instrument' channel is 5 and korgs midi ch is 1. However the MIDI track itself (on the side) has to be same channel as korg midi channel in order to make 'external instrument' plugin to receive midi data. I guess its a normal ableton thing :D. Also not probably related but if i set 'audio from' to 1 or 2 instead of 1/2 i still hear it from both speakers..

But the same problem is still there.. i can record midi but when i play it back theres no sound. when i edit the piano roll i can see the blue light flashing on the corner of live, indicating its sending out midi data to korg i guess? but again, i cant hear it.. hope i was clear enough cheers.

EDIT: i downloaded this ''midi-ox'' program to test midi, it says 'midi output opened' but dosnt find input. could this be related?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:Hey, thanks for the clarification.

just to make sure, i have the korg microkorg, not volca, i believe theyr different instruments :D
I have no idea where I got the volca from. :oops:

Your results are puzzling though. Can you please verify in a new empty project set with only the MIDI out connected to the microkorg that you can send MIDI from Live to it. Don't even add External Instrument, just use a MIDI track. Double click to make a 1 bar clip and paint in some notes. Open the I/O section to set the MIDI output channel and match that to the microkorg's. For now listen with head phones or connect directly to the monitors.
Make some music!

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm

OK i had the midi OUT from soundcard to korgs IN. I also tried it the other way around, i also took the whole breakout cable off from my PCI and everytime Live looked like this when i played back the midi track i made:

Last edited by Volkan Topal on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Volkan Topal wrote:OK i had the midi OUT from soundcard to korgs IN. I also tried it the other way around, i also took the whole breakout cable off from my PCI and everytime Live looked like this when i played back the midi track i made:
The important bit of info here is whether it did play back any audio when you sent MIDI to it. So did it?
Make some music!