Can i move the installed packs to another location?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Can i move the installed packs to another location?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am

I installed some packs.. and they are installed in C.. but i dont want them in Cas they make my C drive full... can i move them to my D drive wihtout any problems?

And what is the process how do i tell live to recognize where they are? thx.

chrk

Re: Can i move the installed packs to another location?

Post by chrk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm

From the depth of my memory:

Create the target folder on the drive you want to move the packs to.
Go to the library preferences, and click on the Browse button behind the Installation-Folder for Packs entry.
Navigate to your destination folder and confirm.

It's been a couple of years, since I've done that (after the initial installation of Live 9), but at this point Live should give you some choices how to proceed, move the library, just use the new destination and delete the old packs, or use the new destination and leave files at the old location alone. Something like that...

Or was it just moving the files and telling Live to use the new location? I'm not sure anymore.

But it worked for me.

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:35 am

Yeah move the files and make a folder to your desired location, then open up Ableton go to the ''Add folder'' button in the browser (left side of the screen) and locate the folder. Bam you're done. You'll get a separate folder for them in your browser whenever you open up Live.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 am

marlonzuri wrote:Yeah move the files and make a folder to your desired location, then open up Ableton go to the ''Add folder'' button in the browser (left side of the screen) and locate the folder. Bam you're done. You'll get a separate folder for them in your browser whenever you open up Live.
A separate folder in the Places section of the browser ist not what he's asking, though.

He wants to move the PACKS (i.e. bought Ableton and Partners' packs, first entry under Places) location to a different disk.

Apart from saving the space on the system disk, that makes even more sense, if you ever have to make a clean system installation: Just run the current Live installer and immediately after unlocking it tell Live to look for packs at that other location. Bam, all the 60-something GB (Live Suite and a handful of free packs in my case) are available, no re-downloading all that stuff.

marlonzuri

Post by marlonzuri » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 am

chrk wrote:
marlonzuri wrote:Yeah move the files and make a folder to your desired location, then open up Ableton go to the ''Add folder'' button in the browser (left side of the screen) and locate the folder. Bam you're done. You'll get a separate folder for them in your browser whenever you open up Live.
A separate folder in the Places section of the browser ist not what he's asking, though.

He wants to move the PACKS (i.e. bought Ableton and Partners' packs, first entry under Places) location to a different disk.

Apart from saving the space on the system disk, that makes even more sense, if you ever have to make a clean system installation: Just run the current Live installer and immediately after unlocking it tell Live to look for packs at that other location. Bam, all the 60-something GB (Live Suite and a handful of free packs in my case) are available, no re-downloading all that stuff.
ohhhh Sorry my misunderstanding.