New Macbook Pro

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
2pauluzz2

Re: New Macbook Pro

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm upgrading and was considering a 2015 model until I realised price differences between the 2015 and latest model are not that significant (I'm willing to fork out about an extra €300,– for a future-proof device with much more powerful ports).

Among my devices are a Push 2 and an Elektron Analog Heat with Overbridge software. These two have been the most challenging to connect well to my current mac mini because they need their own dedicate ports. They didn't play ball without them being hooked up to their own ports, not even when using Elektron's Overhub.

When I go for the latest model, I need to figure out how to connect everything. I need to use dongles to share a few things, like screen+adapter+usb-c device on one Thunderbolt 3 port.

But that alone won't cut it – it looks like I probably have to share more. So my question is: does anyone have experience with connecting such 'hungry' devices like the Push 2 or Analog Heat (with overbridge software) to the same Thunderbolt 3 port on a new Macbook Pro, instead of giving them their own dedicated Thunderbolt port?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm

My whole studio runs off a USB 3 hub, and that gets plugged into my 2017 MBP via Apple's USB-C to USB adaptor to a single port on the laptop. Off that hub I have a high powered DAC, Push 2, 3 hard drives, a charger for my vape, and USB feeds to my Circuit and Octatrack. It all works fine, no issues at all. Those new thunderbolt ports can transmit a LOT of data.

If you go for a new MBP, see if you can try one first. The new keyboards are quite a bit different, and I'm REALLY struggling to get used to it. It's very loud too compared to the older ones. Might be worth giving it a go first to make sure it's something you like, part of me wishes I would have been able to wait a bit before buying a new laptop now.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Wow. That exceeds what I was hoping for. Thanks! I might have acces to one from someone I work with, so I'll probably give that keyboard a go first. Thanks for the heads up!

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I love the new keyboard. It is so much lighter to type on. I don't think it's that loud if you are typing normally but it surely could be more quiet.
I use the Satechi Type-C Slim Multi-Port Adapter which Push 2, a HDMI monitor and a midi keybboard is connected. I use one of Apples USB-C to USB adapters for my Usb audio interface.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm definitely a heavy handed typer, I fully admit that :)