Apc40 vs Launchpad S + Launch Control?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Insayn

Apc40 vs Launchpad S + Launch Control?

Post by Insayn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello,
I want to use live as a performance tool as well as a production tool and was looking for a good controller(s) to supply the needs for using ableton for DJing. After a good bit of searching, i had narrowed down my options to either an Akai APC40 or a Novation Launchpad S + a Launch Control. Does anybody have any recommendations for which path i should take? Any Good/Bad Experiences with any of these controllers? Any other suggested controllers?
Thanks!
~Insayn

gorskkr

Re: Apc40 vs Launchpad S + Launch Control?

Post by gorskkr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I have a launchpad and i recently bought a Launch Control. Here's my thoughts on the topic:

-I initially purchased a launchpad and I love it. The only thing I was displeased about what the lack of knobs/pots. This problem is now solved with the addition of Launch Control, however, you can still get around this, albeit with buttons versus a knob, via 'user 2' mode on launchpad.

-So you may say well I'll get APC40 and have everything in one unit. Well, the APC 40 does have some draw backs. A major drawback is that you can't use a APC40 as a drumpad, or as a MIDI controller while you play in real time a virtual instrument. I love programming drum beats or synth lines on the fly by banging away on my launchpad via 'user 1' mode. This is not possible on APC40.
**Also, The APC40 is batttery powereed. Launchpad and LaunchControl are BUS powered and they're both ridiculously light weight.

It really depends on preference, but I would suggest Launchpad and Launch Control. As far as price:
Launchpad S: $170
Launch ControlP $100
TOTAL: $270

APC 40 TOTAL: $299

I think the Launchpad combo takes the cake bc it can do all and more than just the APC 40. I also think you would be more than fine with APC 40. I personally think the launchpad duo takes the cake bc of Launchpad's user 1 mode which allows you to turn your launchpad into a 64 pad drum rack to bang out beats, or as a 64 pad midi controller to play live with your vst's to record into clips on the fly.

Hope this helps.

gorskkr

Post by gorskkr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm

EDIT: ^^I meant to say that you have to plug the APC 40 into a power outlet, not that you have to put batteries into it. Sorry, my brain is fried today... :P

Insayn

Post by Insayn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:05 pm

gorskkr wrote:EDIT: ^^I meant to say that you have to plug the APC 40 into a power outlet, not that you have to put batteries into it. Sorry, my brain is fried today... :P
No problem, thanks for the reply, i think i'm gonna go with the Launchpad S + Launch Control, so thanks for the advice! :D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Ehm, why not Push?! Is money the issue, or do you really need sliders? Surely apart from this, Push would be superior to both!

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Even with the Launchcontrol you still don't have sliders, 3 dedicated buttons for mute, solo etc and other things the APC offers.Main advantage of the LP is the 8x8 grid though.Personally, i will either go with a combo of LP+Nanokontrol+Nocturn or LP+Remote Control Zero or APC40+LP Mini or APC40 + iPad with Touchable.

Easy :)

The Push has not enough dedicated knobs for me and no faders at all.

gorskkr

Post by gorskkr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Launchpad does have mute, solo, record enable/arm, pan, sends, and all else available to you via the mixer mode.

I would also agree that taking a look at Push would be a great call. It's obviously more expensive but a great piece of hardware no doubt. It also makes it really easy to jam along in key.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Of course the LP has mute etc. functions, but as you always have to switch to a diff. User mode to reach these, the APC has a major advantage there with its dedicated controls always in sight.Btw, the new Reloop Keyfadr seems to be a good companion for the LP, with its fader, 3 Buttons and 3 encoders for each of its channels.Just wish they'd release a version without the minikeys, would make the better Nanokontrol..

djfrodo

Post by djfrodo » Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am

O.k. so I'm really late to this thread but I've been thinking about this (sort of obsessing actually) for the past week.

I got a Launchpad S which is awesome, but like a lot of people I instantly wanted knobs or faders for pan and volume...So I got a Launch Control, which is also awesome. Both are incredibly well built and the visual feedback and integration with Live is amazing.

But...there's one problem - a deal breaker actually.

Let's say I have 9 tracks and I'm looking at tracks 1-8 on the Launchpad and the Launch Control. Fantastic, everything works, I can pan and change volume on any of the tracks, start/stop clips, etc. without switching modes at all. Exactly what I wanted. I can even switch templates on the Launch Control and use the knobs for devices.

If I use the Launchpad to move to tracks 2-9 the Launchpad obviously does it's thing...the Launch Control however, stays on 1-8. I have to move the Launch Control to 2-9 as well.

In other words they don't link and there's no visual feedback for which set of tracks the Launch Control is using besides the "Controlling tracks 2-9" message that briefly flashes when I change the Launch Control.

So, anyone know if linking these two is possible? So that the Launch Control follows any navigation on the Launchpad? Or at least showing a second "red box" for the Launch Control?

This combo is great, and it's so close to perfect it hurts...but if I can't find a way to do this I'm returning both and waiting for the APC40 MK2.

djfrodo

Post by djfrodo » Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 pm

O.k. just in the event that someone else is trying to do this (or something similar) here's what I found: http://www.nativekontrol.com/Link.html

It's $9.50 and it works. It's just python scripts so I'm sure someone will come out with a free version, but for a quick fix this is it.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 pm

djfrodo wrote:O.k. just in the event that someone else is trying to do this (or something similar) here's what I found: http://www.nativekontrol.com/Link.html

It's $9.50 and it works. It's just python scripts so I'm sure someone will come out with a free version, but for a quick fix this is it.
I'd definitely recommend any of the NativeKontrol scripts, they're all really well implemented and Stray is super prompt and helpful in providing support and bug fixes!

woodswalker

Bank Change commands in Launch Control XL

Post by woodswalker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm

I just bought a Launch Control XL. I bought it because I wanted the faders. It looks great except for not having a Bank Change button to quickly move the LC to the 2nd 8 tracks (9 thru 16).

someone posted this link a few years ago:
http://www.nativekontrol.com/Link.html
But the link is broken. Does anyone have a new link?

Alternatively is there some other way to make a 'bank change' command work?

Thanks

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 am

THANKS!
I'll check it out!

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am

woodswalker wrote:
THANKS!
I'll check it out!
However, after watching the video on this, I'm not sure if it includes the ability to skip through the blocks of session grids. Mostly it is about device parameters. That should be simple, seeing as how the script already exists in the Launchpad itself.
I am looking to see if he has a contact address so I can ask him.