Live 10 upgrade path

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Mister Natural

Re: Live 10 upgrade path

Post by Mister Natural » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm

I don't disagree that the cost of v.10 from v.9 is expensive . . . but I'll spend it regardless. If I think about the evolution of v.9 over the last few years and how many enhancements came to it over that time - for free. I would certainly expect v.10 to evolve in a similar fashion after the first x.1.0 release

thanks Abes !
An Expert Only on What it Feels Like to be Me
& You Are Who You Google

http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 am

The cost of upgrade (and value for money) will be subjective to how a user uses Live I guess.

I have just downloaded the Beta and after probably just 20 minutes i'm sold on the upgrade cost, though I was already anyway. And i'm currently a cash strapped student back at technical school so I don't have money to just throw around.

As has been said, Ableton have improved a lot of things during Live 9 with the Beta program helping immensely. Not just improvements to the program itself but improvements to how they take feedback and interact with customers. We actually have information from the developers and channels to feed things back easily. I know there was a comment about how the test data is sub standard because people aren't really good test subjects BUT it does add a lot of extra valuable data and a large market of different hardware and some of the users here are excellent at providing useful data and helping to track down issues... not all of us are average Joe users, some have technical qualifications in Beta testing and reporting.

It will never catch everything but a any new release that comes out as x.0 or x.1 should be considered an unofficial public beta since several companies I have worked with pretty much operate on that premise and even development I do is released to a small group frirst, adjusted if required then released to a bigger target.

I have opened up some of my larger projects straight away to test Live 10 and instantly I notice they load a little quicker and the CPU load in my projects appears to be about 10% less which is great. One project that has 16 instances of Omnisphere and a lot of large string and guitar instruments would occasionally stutter when it got towards the end with a 75% load... It plays smoothly in the beta and CPU meter never went above 55% on that one so that is a massive improvement and I could not be happier.

The enhancements throughout the program from the new Zoom mechanics (that are in-line with most other media programs) to the new clean font to the new colouring of everything in my favourite dark themes makes things a lot easier to focus on.

The new enhancements to Push like the EQ8... Fantastic and no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.

So far I am extremely impressed and think just the software enhancements, integrated Max (may even start using that now) and improved performance is well worth the cost currently then the extra effects and instruments on top of that are just a bonus. Then there is the 3 years of updated features we have to look forward to, I mean FFS a Netflix subscription would probably cost more per year than this update.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Noxoreos wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I think it'll take at least one or two more years until Push 3 is going to be released.
I agree. Although I feel there could be a market for (an earlier?) Push 2 + AD/DA. If that ever happens.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

jestermgee wrote:…no extra load noticed at all from the PushProcess.
Can you please elaborate on that? What does this mean in practice and in detail?
Make some music!

phuzzee_demon

Post by phuzzee_demon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am

I've got a friend who is upgrading from Live 3 and it is the same price as me upgrading from Live 8 so I guess there isn't any better of a deal by doing every upgrade cycle.
"paranoia is just finer tuned reality"

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm

On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Tarekith wrote:On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)
But Live 3 audio engine definitely has a more vintage sound :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

I clearly prefer the sound of Logic 3 from those days though.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 am

[jur] wrote:
Tarekith wrote:On the plus side, you’ve been able to use MIDI for the last 15 years in Live and your friend hasn’t :)
I rewire Live 9 through Live 3 to get that vintage sound.
I make 2003 style music so it fits better.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 am

[jur] wrote:

:D

cherryvelour

Post by cherryvelour » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:47 pm

This upgrade price is pretty steep! I too have an offer price of £183 to go from Suite 9 to Suite 10. Can't recall any upgrades in the past being this high.
I also owned M4L separately way back when I was running Live 8 Standard.
Seems like the price to upgrade from SUite 9 to Suite 10 should be lower as it's only the Live 9 app that we would be upgrading. Presumably all the Suite instruments and M4L will stay the same. Sure, the new wavetable synth is an add-on but this doesn't seem worth it.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm

cherryvelour wrote:Can't recall any upgrades in the past being this high.
I can. From my past invoices it looks like both the Live 7 Suite and Live 8 Suite upgrades were about $10 more than what I'm paying for the upgrade from Live 9 Suite to Live 10 Suite.
Unsound Designer

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Can you please elaborate on that? What does this mean in practice and in detail?
I notice no extra load on my system with the latest info displayed on Push than previously.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
I notice no extra load on my system with the latest info displayed on Push than previously.
You think this is just because Live 10 is more efficient overall so this isn't noticed in your session or did you also measure the Display process and got some numbers you can share? If Live 10 really means CPU usage drops considerably, that's enormously wonderful news for many current and future Push 2owners.
Make some music!

Sional

Post by Sional » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am

I also think the upgrade price from Suite 9 to 10 is a bit steep.
I paid 124 pounds for the 8 Suite to 9 upgrade, which included a lot more content (e.g. Max for Live).