Latency settings inconsistent

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmprvndncr

Latency settings inconsistent

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey dudes,

I had a little look around for existing instances of this, but I've not found it pop up in other forums, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light...

When I adjust my in/out sample rate and buffer size, the input, output, and overall latency show some numbers (nice low numbers), and then suddenly jump up... In addition, it seems like sometimes my latency is much lower than at other times... However, I need to properly document this...

Restarting my MBP seems to sometimes have a resetting effect on this phenomenon...

Soooooo, I'm wondering if there is some other application that is messing with the audio... I'd be happy to cut off all other applications the ability to access the soundcard if it helps... But not sure how / if this is possible...

Anyone have any experience / tips on this?

Would be stoked for any help.

PS. I got a focusrite scarlett 2i4, and a 15" MBP 2014 model...

I might need to get a new soundcard if it helps, cause I'm planning on migrating all my looping performances, from pedals to an ableton based system using the softstep

Cheers,

- Ryan

Stromkraft

Re: Latency settings inconsistent

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:30 pm

cmprvndncr wrote: When I adjust my in/out sample rate and buffer size, the input, output, and overall latency show some numbers (nice low numbers), and then suddenly jump up...

I've never encountered this on any machine, in any OS, in any DAW with any audio interface the last 17 years. I have a hard time thinking this is something else than just normal delay compensation.

I think you're on the right track with getting your data in order. Making tests is one of the best ways to learn about a problem.

This got me thinking about a baffling opposite experience I had in 2016: No Latency at 1024 samples in 9.6.1b5. Anyone else?. Largely the same now. For recording drums (MIDI) I use as short buffer as possible.
Make some music!

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
cmprvndncr wrote: When I adjust my in/out sample rate and buffer size, the input, output, and overall latency show some numbers (nice low numbers), and then suddenly jump up...

I've never encountered this on any machine, in any OS, in any DAW with any audio interface the last 17 years. I have a hard time thinking this is something else than just normal delay compensation.

I think you're on the right track with getting your data in order. Making tests is one of the best ways to learn about a problem.

This got me thinking about a baffling opposite experience I had in 2016: No Latency at 1024 samples in 9.6.1b5. Anyone else?. Largely the same now. For recording drums (MIDI) I use as short buffer as possible.
Thanks for your reply... I just had an idea, I'll try to do a screen capture vid...

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

Welp, unlike a lot of things in my life lately seem to be going, this worked straight away! Uploading video now...

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

OK, stoked. I got it uploaded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9bZzTb ... e=youtu.be

Any thoughts?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:35 pm

cmprvndncr wrote:

Any thoughts?
Nice. Well, mine doesn't shift around like that. As I said I have never seen it, also not with native audio in my MBP. Maybe a CoreAduio effect.

Anyway, I'm guessing the estimate from the driver is updated in your case, not because something real changed but the estimate calculation itself. Just a guess though.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 pm

cmprvndncr wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Any thoughts?
the same thing happens here with my Apogee Quartet with those settings. at a 32 sample buffer, the highest usable sample rate is 96 kHz. if i bump the sample rate any higher, the buffer size automatically gets bumped up to 64 samples after a second or two.

there is always going to be a limit to the usable combinations you can use. Live and/or the audio driver itself cannot support that extremely high level of audio processing, and adjusts the buffer size accordingly.