How to skip a track from Master

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chuku

How to skip a track from Master

Post by Chuku » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 am

Hey all,

I want to bypass a single track and not have the effects of the Master channel in it.. Is there any way i can do this? I have researched but not got a way.

Thank you

Tarekith

Re: How to skip a track from Master

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 am

Not really, anything you do in Live will eventually get processed by the master. You could create two buss tracks that feed the master, one with all your same master effects and one that’s dry for the odd time you need to hear something without the effects.

resident_m

Post by resident_m » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 am

In the I/O section of Live's audio tracks there is an item labelled "Audio To", and below this there is a litte dropdown list where you can select several destinations for audio output. Try to change this from "Master" to "Ext. Out", this should bypass the master track and send your audio directly to your audio interface.

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 am

resident_m wrote: this should bypass the master track and send your audio directly to your audio interface.
But beware, it won't be included in an export of the master track either.

+1 for Tarekith's bus solution.

Chuku

Post by Chuku » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 am

yes, i have done Ext out but i am not able to get that track on song while exporting the song..
There has to be some way.. Anybody share me some knowledge please..

Thanks

Chuku

Post by Chuku » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 am

Tarekith wrote:Not really, anything you do in Live will eventually get processed by the master. You could create two buss tracks that feed the master, one with all your same master effects and one that’s dry for the odd time you need to hear something without the effects.

Tarekith, I am not sure i understand you.. Beginner here.. would you mind explaining me and elaborating more on a simple language please? Thanks

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 am

Chuku wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Not really, anything you do in Live will eventually get processed by the master. You could create two buss tracks that feed the master, one with all your same master effects and one that’s dry for the odd time you need to hear something without the effects.

Tarekith, I am not sure i understand you.. Beginner here.. would you mind explaining me and elaborating more on a simple language please? Thanks
What you need to do is create a "Buss" track which could be a Return track or just another audio track (I prefer returns personally for busses).

Any channels you want to feed a common batch of effects, use the "Audio To" option to send the audio from each channel to your Buss (and place effects on this buss track). Then the tracks you want to bypass those effects, send to either the master or to a second buss and then all these go to the master.

You then remove ALL your effects off the master, i'd suggest keeping a simple compressor/limiter and EQ8 on the master just for final overall adjustments.

Simpler option would be just to group things and place effects on the group.

If you want audio rendered on export, it needs to arrive at the Master output because that is where the render comes from.

Matech

Post by Matech » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:26 pm

Pretty silly we don't have a Post FX destination for sending audio which would make this a lot easier for everybody. Like not being able to use my email to log into the forum, I have to remember a separate forum handle... Live is lagging behind with a lot of small options that just manage to irritate the user a little :p