Ableton 10.0.2 performance loss.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepe castillio

Re: Ableton 10.0.2 performance loss.

Post by pepe castillio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 pm

there is definitely something wrong with 10.0.2, feels sluggish, top menu bar fills up with weird graphic lines, sluggish overall performance compared to 10.0.1, hiccups, occasional crashes ? :roll: I've not changed anything except updating ableton. Can anyone point to 10.0.1 download ? Please Abes be more watchful, updates should increase not decrease performance!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:30 pm

pepe castillio wrote:there is definitely something wrong with 10.0.2, feels sluggish, top menu bar fills up with weird graphic lines, sluggish overall performance compared to 10.0.1, hiccups, occasional crashes ? :roll: I've not changed anything except updating ableton. Can anyone point to 10.0.1 download ? Please Abes be more watchful, updates should increase not decrease performance!
Please contact support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

konovalovua

Post by konovalovua » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Phreebass wrote:
Precisely my issue as well. And, like in @konovalovua's case, it's isolated to Ableton.
Same here. 10.0.1 ran great, this latest version is really sluggish on the GUI, sometimes have to minimise then maximise the screen to get it to refresh!

Nvidia 1080GTX on 100hz Ultra Widescreen (G-sync)
i7 @ 4GHz, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 64bit 1803.

Everything else is running fine, so definitely Ableton's issue.
To be honest, Ableton does NOT running great.
I am talking about this smoothness, you can feel it just by opening latest FL Studio.
I have no ideas whats the problem for company like Ableton make their app run smooth, and without GUI glitches/freezes.

SAD
Last edited by konovalovua on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

konovalovua

Post by konovalovua » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
al_yell wrote: Precisely my issue as well. And, like in @konovalovua's case, it's isolated to Ableton.
Can you guys share all your hardware info and other set up info of Live? Certainly to Ableton, unless you haven't already.

Of course, it's the responsibility of a maker of software to make their software compatible with a wide variety of hardware. But all applications relies on a system of hardware together with an OS at a minimum.

Personally I wish the process of rectifying issues like yours had grown into deeper analytical and streamlined methodology countering the fact that real time applications do as many advanced tasks as they do. It's still the simplistic, find the steps causing the issue > report these > attempt to recreate by the developer > further discussion > update is shared > tests are made by the reporter at best > other tests for side-effects need to be run before a release fix is possible.
Dell 27inch 60ghz, cant remember the model
Asus z170a
16gb RAM ddr3
gtx 1050 (2gb)
i7 6700 3.4ghz
256 samsung SSD
audiobox 22vsl

and USB hub with some devices in it.

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Quick post to say I also have UI freezes pretty much constantly, makes the software nearly unusable without switching to 60hz down from 140.
Very frustrating. gtx970 card, dell 27" 1440p 140hz gsync monitor.

filtercurve

Post by filtercurve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I also noticed this UI stalling issue when running 10.0.2 today and I have an NVidia 1060 and an Ultrawide monitor at 100Hz using G-sync. My windows 10 version is 1709 (OS Build 16299.492). I went back to 10.0.1 and no longer get the UI stalling.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 am

Well I was initially lucky with 10.0.2 but have been having crashes with Legacy Cell (causes Live to Crash when trying to add to a track) and it also occurs in all Betas. Rolled back to 10.0.1 and what do you know, no more crashes and everything is working fine.

Chalk me up on the list that 10.0.2 has some issues which are still unresolved in the Betas.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:49 am

Yeah, it's a buggy one alright.
My main issue with it is crashing as soon as I try to load some (specific) songs. I've no idea what it is about those songs but I have to try and load them a few times and then eventually the damn thing will open. Some other issues too. weird things. I got the latest beta because I wanted to work on those songs ... and the beta has different issues! (it won't even start in some cases, and requires a preferences trash to open the app)
All reported and documented of course.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Angstrom wrote:Yeah, it's a buggy one alright.
My main issue with it is crashing as soon as I try to load some (specific) songs. I've no idea what it is about those songs but I have to try and load them a few times and then eventually the damn thing will open. Some other issues too. weird things. I got the latest beta because I wanted to work on those songs ... and the beta has different issues! (it won't even start in some cases, and requires a preferences trash to open the app)
All reported and documented of course.
Yep, same issues here, though I have not noticed any other issues and have completed a few projects without having a single problem.

When I went back from 10.0.2 > 10.0.1, I couldn't even get Live to open at all. Crashed 4 times on VST scan then "Serious program error". Trashed the prefs and it started up fine after that.

Projects I created in L9 that had Legacy Cell would load in 10.0.2 but as soon as I tried to open the GUI of the plugin, Live would crash.

What is a mystery is why none of this cropped up in the Beta when people were testing (me included). Seems like someone was working on some "upgrades" of their own and just chucked them in last minute before the release. I'll be laying off the Betas or updates until I see some progress in addressing these issues I think.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Angstrom wrote:…requires a preferences trash to open the app).
A strategy more people with issues should try. Coming to think of it I think I've been doing this since 9.6, or if it was 9.7. As I told elsewhere I've also had to reinstall plug-ins including preferences (Waves and Melda multiple times).

I've understood that when a new Live version arrives it will read the preferences from the previous version and after having done any update revisions, save these to disk. Somewhere around this preferences update process there might be a problem causing these more grave issues.

I just saw something like this starting the 9.7.7beta and had to restart to be able to start it up. In my case, however, it seemed to be related to file system resources as other apps, like the Finder, crashed.

After reboot everything runs fine.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Angstrom wrote:…requires a preferences trash to open the app).
A strategy more people with issues should try. Coming to think of it I think I've been doing this since 9.6, or if it was 9.7. As I told elsewhere I've also had to reinstall plug-ins including preferences (Waves and Melda multiple times).
yep. though in the case of this bug the preferences need to be trashed often. I'd estimate that between 8 to 10 starts I'll find Live can no longer get to the splash screen and I must trash the prefs again. This is a totally new bug to me for this version, and is in the system being tracked and has been replicated by Ableton.

So it's not a "trash them after install" situation, it's a "trash them every third day" situation.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:31 am

Angstrom wrote: So it's not a "trash them after install" situation, it's a "trash them every third day" situation.
Well. that's serious. Assuming it's not the preferences themselves getting corrupt, something in the boot process maybe?

I've had many intermittent issues with Native Instrument's Supercharger VST plug-in for some reason, but just trying to start again usually resolved that, though a few times I moved it out of the VST folder. A few other times certain plug-ins have made a start impossible, so I got rid of them. Could it be some plug-in in your case, you reckon?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:46 am

I doubt it's a specific plugin because Ableton reproduced the problem quite quickly after I initially reported it. I think there were a few other "crashologist" users commented on my bug that they had the same issue. It's now marked "tracked internally" meaning a fix is on the way.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

Angstrom wrote:I doubt it's a specific plugin because Ableton reproduced the problem quite quickly after I initially reported it. I think there were a few other "crashologist" users commented on my bug that they had the same issue. It's now marked "tracked internally" meaning a fix is on the way.

Ha, i'm dealing with Brendan at the moment for the exact same issue by the sounds in 10.0.2 and the Beta.

Live is crashing (fresh Live with no prefs) scanning VSTs and it was crashing on Air Music Tech Effect plugins. I removed these from my VST folder completely, try again and then "serious program error" crash and the whole thing repeats on next load but then reports a different plugin as the issue. Cannot actually load Live at all.

My "fix" for the moment was to:
- remove ALL plugins from the VST path
- Start Live (fresh) and set the VST path close Live
- Move half the plugins back. Start Live (scans plugins OK)
- Close Live then move the rest of the plugins back
- Start live and it scans the remainder plugins and loads fine.

This is not an issue with Live 9, Maschine or Komplete Kontrol and none of the plugins that were suggested as being the issue appear to have any issues in anything else.

Reported it all with logs so hopefully the next version fixes these issues.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Different bug I think as mine has NEVER crashed on "scanning plugins" .
Mine runs totally fine, but then the next time I try to start it - it simply wont even open at all, not even the first step, no splash screen at all. Just a Windows "error" box.

Mine can be induced to start be simply renaming the preferences. And it will then stay running for 4 or 5 runs.