Best DAW to connect Yamaha 01v, Fostex FD-8, MOTU 828 MKII?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Arclite7

Best DAW to connect Yamaha 01v, Fostex FD-8, MOTU 828 MKII?

Post by Arclite7 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:05 pm

I need help to make sense of what I have purchased to create a studio, 8, 16, 32 track. I purchased first a Yamaha 01v desk, a second was purchased for spares although it is virtually 100% complete. The original came with an 8 channel ADAT board with 2 TOS links. All optical cables have been purchased to link to a Fostex FD-8 and to a MOTU 828 MKII. Firewire cables link the MOTU 828 to a FireWire interface to the laptop.

A Bome Box and MidiPro software have been purchased to enable all Midi connections to be properly managed between each piece of equipment and the current DAW which came free with a 48 key Midi (USB) keyboard/controller. The laptop does have Wi-Fi.

I can see the Yamaha 01v as a visual feedback to the current mix state. The ADAT connections should permit uploading 8 tracks from the Fostex FD-8 to the Yamaha 01v for a further 8 track live session to record via the MOTU 828 MKII because of the potential for higher sampling rates with the MOTU. Although none of this equipment will exceed 48KHz sampling rates for most work between 16 and 32 tracks should be feasible with at least one arrangement of these components.

This is an exercise to familiarise myself with the past use of this hardware before moving on to a single computer based recording environment. The analogue interfaces provided by these pieces of equipment have been the entry point to starting a recording "Studio".

What would be the best DAW to begin controlling all these pieces of equipment together to successfully create an effective recording environment? The usual interface is Rewire I believe?

Any expertise would be gratefully appreciated, thank you.

jestermgee

Re: Best DAW to connect Yamaha 01v, Fostex FD-8, MOTU 828 MKII?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:44 am

I can’t help but am certainly curious as to how you purchase a heap of gear to build a “studio” but don’t even have a DAW as a starter. Maybe kids do things different these days but it is strange to me to invest so much in gear without much idea how you want it to all work.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 am

Arclite7 wrote:
What would be the best DAW to begin controlling all these pieces of equipment together to successfully create an effective recording environment?
I think you need to make a clear list of your actual needs from this DAW before anyone could answer that question and the most likely person will be you.
Make some music!

Arclite7

Post by Arclite7 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi, it is always a problem for me to capture all ambiguities with a single statement. Is this normal? I have a copy of Ableton Live Lite as this came with the keyboard/controller.

The diverse arrangement of equipment was purchased because of low price and the inexperience left me unable to identify which daw, e.g. Cubase can automatically recognise "most" devices therefore which DAW does in fact recognise "ALL" equipment?

In fact the description by a CUBASE user and a Yamaha 01v was of the usefulness of seeing the track settings mechanically synchronise across the 01v interface in place of a cramped monitor screen. Likewise moving the faders updates the on-screen sliders.

As a beginner this was an apparent good place to start. Now I have a 49" screen it offers only VGA connection from PC so it is not as easy as a conceptual approach would suggest. Another 42" screen only offers SCART + VGA. Until I have a high res HDMI interface to my PC I cannot rely upon a large high resolution touch screen display and the current 01v representation is all I have?

So because of the Yamaha 01v ADAT 8 track/channel interface I am building a recording interface via the MOTU 828 and Firewire to a laptop (and from the Fostex FD-8) because the MOTU 828 MKII has a higher sample rate than the Yamaha to give a critically improved resolution to vocals and acoustic instruments until I can afford aN improved ADC interface, server style processing power and software mixing desk capable of handling all possible sampling rates before there is ever the need for a Waves Digigrid IOC or IOX which at $1-3k is way beyond my current need or payscale....

I hope this helps clear the ambiguities.

With thanks for any help and expertise in this area of selecting an appropriate DAW...

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 pm

I would recommend Reaper for the sole reason that the the trial is indefinite, try it, see if it works for you. It is as powerful as any other DAW out there.