LAPTOP SPEC/SETUP DISCUSSION

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
5dn

LAPTOP SPEC/SETUP DISCUSSION

Post by 5dn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Dear Live-ers,

I eventually wanna do a live set probably using push 2 and live 10 off a laptop.

I don't have a laptop atm and was wondering about the best spec/setup of hardware?

I reckon obviously definitely an SSD, LOADS of RAM (64GB? can 128 fit in a laptop?)[because RAM increase was the best thing i ever did to speed up my desktop] obviously save money on the GPU [bog standard one i'm guessing]

What would be the lowest number of cores? speed of CPU that would be acceptable?

I guess I'm kind of wondering about how to setup the set too. I'm guessing you cannot run all the original instruments from multiple tunes so bounce a bunch of the set to WAVS and only have a few live instruments?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Definitely going to need help if I am to pull this off

Ta

Nick

jestermgee

Re: LAPTOP SPEC/SETUP DISCUSSION

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Loads of discussions on this kind of topic... on every forum... and the answer is always the same pretty much. Depends very much on what you want to do yourself and your budget.

- What kind of skrilla do you have to spare?
- What your workflow is like?
- What kinds of instruments you will use?
- How many tracks you plan to use?
- Do you use a lot of FX? What kinds of FX and how many on average?
- What kind of audio interface you have
- External devices
- Mac or PC (Mainly for personal preference)
- Do you load large amounts of HQ WAV samples to need such expensive RAM choices?
- etc...

All questions you need to answer yourself before you can get any real advice on selecting system.

Cores = As many as your pocket can afford really
RAM = 16-32GB should be fine unless you want massive orchestral arrangements or do video editing. Beyond 32GB is probably just wasting your cash.
I guess I'm kind of wondering about how to setup the set too.
However works for you. There are infinite ways to setup your set and each has their own way.
I'm guessing you cannot run all the original instruments from multiple tunes so bounce a bunch of the set to WAVS and only have a few live instruments?
No idea what you are asking there

5dn

Post by 5dn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:08 am

Loads of discussions on this kind of topic... on every forum... and the answer is always the same pretty much. Depends very much on what you want to do yourself and your budget.

- What kind of skrilla do you have to spare?

not much was thinking bout £500 but may go to more to make a more capable system

- What your workflow is like?

currently just bang tracks out in Live individually. not sure exactly what you want to hear here.

- What kinds of instruments you will use?

Operator, wavetable, serum are the ones i use the most

- How many tracks you plan to use?

do you mean channels or tunes?

- Do you use a lot of FX? What kinds of FX and how many on average?

quite alot. i use izotope trash 2 alot and alot of chains of ableton audio fx. love ECHO plugin

- What kind of audio interface you have

currently budget: behringer u-phoria umc204HD but was thinking of getting an Apogee Duet Soundcard as my friend recommended

- External devices

have a moog mother32, wanna slowly build more modular/external gear

- Mac or PC (Mainly for personal preference)

PC all the way, hate macs, build my own workstations, way better bang for buck

- Do you load large amounts of HQ WAV samples to need such expensive RAM choices?

well this is what i was wanting to ask about and what that question at the end you had no idea about was about....
is it less processor, ram hungry to have wavs of synth parts rather than the original instrument and fx chain? i'm guessing instruments and fx chains use more processor and less ram and HD than wavs? am i right?

- etc...

All questions you need to answer yourself before you can get any real advice on selecting system.

Cores = As many as your pocket can afford really
RAM = 16-32GB should be fine unless you want massive orchestral arrangements or do video editing. Beyond 32GB is probably just wasting your cash.
I guess I'm kind of wondering about how to setup the set too.
However works for you. There are infinite ways to setup your set and each has their own way.
I'm guessing you cannot run all the original instruments from multiple tunes so bounce a bunch of the set to WAVS and only have a few live instruments?
No idea what you are asking there

spendthrift2

Post by spendthrift2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:37 am

Honestly, I would take a more conservative approach. Save as much of your hard earned buck as possible and get the minimum requirements for what you need. Start by looking at the minimum system requirements for using the version of Ableton Live you want or have. I have a Dell Latitude laptop. It has like 8GB of RAM and a 2.4GHz Processor. It ran Ableton with some adjustments to advanced power settings relating to processor power management. It gets complicated, but if you find that it's your passion it could become something really meaningful for you. I hope you get it sorted out.

5dn

Post by 5dn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:47 am

thanks for the well wishes spendthrift2 :D and you have a point