Anyone using tc electronics new hardware controllers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
malenko

Anyone using tc electronics new hardware controllers?

Post by malenko » Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi,
Just got the TC8210 reverb and Live is not saving changes to presets with the saved set. Example - load the vst into a track and pick a preset which has dry/wet at 50. Change dry/wet to 5 and then save live set and close. Open up set again, track with preset is loaded but dry/wet is at 50 which is presets default value.
I know I could save the preset to prevent this but that would mean saving the preset every time when also saving the set. If I’ve got say 10 instances loaded... complete ball ache and chances are I will forgot.
I’ve never come across this with any other vst. I know that the hardware controller is what runs the vst so it seems as if it’s like true hardware but seriously that can’t be right?
I’ve also just updated to 10.1, is that the culprit?
Many thanks in advance

Mark Williams

Re: Anyone using tc electronics new hardware controllers?

Post by Mark Williams » Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm

I have and use all 4 of these plugin controllers, and have not noticed this issue, have you tried using the VST3 versions in Live10.1?
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

malenko

Post by malenko » Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark!

Hadn’t thought of that so will have a try tonight and report back.
Will be strange if that is the issue though

Cheers

malenko

Post by malenko » Fri May 31, 2019 5:58 pm

That seems to have worked!!

Installed it as VST3 and set up the VST3 folder in Live (dont have any other VST3's) and it now upon a quick test, saves the preset state within the Live set.
Thank *!*! for that as I was thinking of sending it back as it would be pointless if it did not save preset states.
Ableton, if your reading, is this a bug in 10.1???

Because of this makes me question, has anyone tried the Console 1 in VST3 now that we can, and does it allow auto track naming/numbering finally?

Thanks again Mark!

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri May 31, 2019 6:34 pm

I have the console 1 as well, althou havent tried the VST3 version as of yet, bit busy beta testing some new Waves stuff.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 am

VST3 Changes nothing for Console 1 unfortunately. The AU supports track names and numbers (Mac only though obviously).

If you are on Mac and using the AU I also made a free Max device that makes Live follow the controller.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=5055

/end off topic
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:49 am

PC only here, on a side note, I have all 4 of these little controllers, got a stand arriving today especially for these 4 little beauts....

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:49 am
PC only here, on a side note, I have all 4 of these little controllers, got a stand arriving today especially for these 4 little beauts....
I really like the idea of these controllers. Any dedicated 1:1 controller for software makes for quick editing without the limitations (and less of cables) that comes with hardware. Do these have a way to switch between multiple instances of the plugin?

Side note: my Max device should still allow Ableton to follow the Console 1 controller on Windows but without automatic track naming/numbering. I’ll admit that I haven’t tried it but it “should” be cross platform.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Theu dont have a way to switch instances themselves, but when you use mouse and click on other instances they do follow :)
The Delay and the 2 reverbs both sound fantastic.

This is the stand Im using.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxIUCzdh5pI/

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Don’t show me things like that! Those look awesome! :mrgreen:

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:34 am

Ha ha ha :) I cant recommend the 2290 Delay or the DVR250 & 8210 Reverbs enough. Very good on CPU too :)

malenko

Post by malenko » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Apologies for the late response, been away and sorry for bumping this back up but I would like to add a couple of things.

Mark, that is an awesome stand you have there for these units and yes indeed to switch 'focus' to a different instance within Live, is by way of opening the plugin window and then clicking on a special icon to gain 'focus' for that instance on that track. There is a setting within the plugin, to gain instant focus when the plugin window is open, so reducing mouse clicks from 2 to 1. But this is where Ableton is falling way short for me. I've just bought an SSL Nucleus which is great cause you can program keystrokes to it so that, with Push 2, the TC8210 and Console 1, I am trying to get a more 'hands on' approach. Problem is the key shortcut for opening VST windows in Live is pure crap. It only works if the plugin window has been first opened with the mouse and then once you have it in that available state, (the little spanner icon greys out to show you have it in that state) it does not allow the instant focus to work on the TC8210. So to change the instance, you still have to use the mouse! I have read previously somewhere about this issue with the plugin window shortcut and seen a response from Ableton saying they are aware and are trying to fix, that was a few years ago!

Thanks Airyck for pointing me to your M4L tool for Console 1. Unfortunately I am Windows also. Again this is where Ableton has fallen. I appreciate that they cant cater for EVERYBODY but there are certain things that you would expect them to implement, as something like Console 1 is such a good product to work with Live, why on earth aren't they helping to support it correctly. They have had plenty of time since Console 1 was released up until this new 10.1.

I've been exclusively using Live now for over 10 years and because of little things like this it is starting to feel a bit clunky to me. Ableton please sort it out!!

BTW I have stopped using M4L devices as they simple crash my system far too many times to bother trying to use them!