How!? Record two audio inputs at the same time, but have their audio separate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theocorvey

How!? Record two audio inputs at the same time, but have their audio separate?

Post by theocorvey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 am

Hi,

I am currently setting up a podcast recording using Ableton (and a Rode Caster Pro board).
I have 2 microphones which I want to record at the same time, but have their audio separate from each other in the tacks.

I have put both the audio tracks as Input External, one as 1 and the other as 2, so they should be coming from the two different mics right?

I then am simultaneously arming both tracks so they're recording at once. However, when I speak into one microphone it just shows up in both tracks. I want the audio from one microphone to show up in one track, completely separate from the other microphone's audio recording into the other track. At the moment they are just combined.

Is this possible? If so, please tell me how I can do it, as I'm very new to this!

Thank you stacks!

chrk

Re: How!? Record two audio inputs at the same time, but have their audio separate?

Post by chrk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:49 am

And with the new 1.1.0 software version available in February 2019, you will also be able to record in multi-channel mode, allowing you to separately record each of the sources to its own track for later post-production.
RØDECaster Pro

I gather from their download page, that the companion app needs to be upgraded as well.

If you haven't done the upgrades, I assume your Rodecaster is just sending the stereo sum via USB.

A workaround prior to updating could be panning mic 1 hard left, mic 2 hard right ON THE RODECASTER.
Last edited by chrk on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

LoopStationZebra

Re: How!? Record two audio inputs at the same time, but have their audio separate?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:06 am

EDIT: Looks like chrk has read up a bit on the hardware and that my suggestion probably won't work based on his response....
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

nxixcxk

Post by nxixcxk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:40 pm

1) . Follow instructions here for setting up aggregate device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QXyvPLCz58&t=842s

2) . In audio midi set-up, make sure both mics are set to same input levels (when I plugged both my yetis into my mac, one of them had input levels too low to pick up sound)

3) . In ableton, open preferences, audio input device = aggregate device.

4) . Click "input config" and make sure you've selected 1(mono) & 2(mono) as well as 3(mono) &4(mono).

5) . For your two audio tracks, click the drop-down menu for channel, and put one audio channel on "1" and select the other audio channel and put it on "3." This should enable recording from two separate USB mics. :D :D :D

my podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... d755649884
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CoachingNick

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm

If both microphones can pick up your voice then your voice will show up on both their channels. This is called “cross-talk” or “spill”.

The way to avoid, or at least minimise, it is to make sure each mic can only pick up what you want it to, or only pick up the unwanted signal at a level that is so low it can be ignored when the “correct” signal is present and removed by editing the audio clips or maybe using a noise gate when the “correct” signal isn’t present.

Using directional mics can make a big difference if the least sensitive pickup area of each mic is towards the sound-source you don’t want it to pick up.

If the signal is present on both mics and there’s no easy way round it (e.g. a mic on an acoustic guitar and a mic for the guitarist’s voice or when recording a drum kit) it’s necessary to be careful about the phase of the audio when recorded to prevent them cancelling each other out.

The ideal solution, if possible, is to use only one mic at a time.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 pm

You want mics with cardioid patterns, facing in different directions. If the level is significantly lower, you can then use a gate to control the crosstalk. This is assuming you don't somehow have the mics routed to both inputs. If your audio interface has mixing software, check there to make sure you aren't outputting both each mic to both sides of a stereo output.