Get last selected parameter of live’s VST

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
TaoEntropy

Get last selected parameter of live’s VST

Post by TaoEntropy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 am

Hello,

When you click on parameter in a plugin VST that is loaded in on a Ableton Live midi track such as Native Instruments’ Massive, when the blue hand is active on that Live device and no parameters of the VST have been MIDI mapped, you get control of that parameter on any midi controller with remote scripts such as Ableton push. This allows you to click on parameters in the VST at will and control them with a single knob like a speed dial on Novation products. If none of the VST's parameters are officially configured/mapped in live, the last parameter you clicked is the one that Live allows the MIDI controller to move.

So we can infer that Ableton Live receives the name of this parameter and possibly assigns it an id. Ableton Live would also get this parameter name or id when it sets up MIDI mapping. So if Live can get this parameter name, is there a way for us to get it and use it in a Max for Live device? What is the hook that live uses?

I would like to have or create an Ableton Live device with a MIDI mapable knob that controls the last parameter clicked in both Live or a VST. Various people have created them to control parameters withing Ableton live’s chrome only, but I’m not aware of anyone that has created one that will do the last clicked VST plugin parameter as well.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone created a VST and Ableton parameter speed dial?
2) Is there a way or MaxForLive parameter to get the last clicked VST parameter to use in a Max for Live device?

Thanks!!!

Antigone

Re: Get last selected parameter of live’s VST

Post by Antigone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:31 am

Did you find any way to do this?

I've just asked the same question here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=236701

I hope someone finds the solution!

Can you point me to controllers that automatically do that? (handle the last touched parameter in both chrome and VST windows)

Thanks!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

This is a function of CLyphX Pro's Bindings Add ON, you can user one MIDDI Encoder to control whatever was last clicked on with the mouse..

Cheers
D

Antigone

Post by Antigone » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Can you confirm that it also works with VSTs and not only "chrome" parameters?

Thanks,