Translate Operator Patch Guitar Bass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moosehead2

Translate Operator Patch Guitar Bass

Post by moosehead2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello,

I want to achieve the same sound as the patch Guitar Bass on operator on another FM Synth. I can't get around to translate the values because the parameter names are different.

It's a very unique sound and I'd be very grateful if someone could shed a little bit of lights on this

Tone Deft

Re: Translate Operator Patch Guitar Bass

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:49 pm

there's no way to answer your question without more information.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

moosehead2

Post by moosehead2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to give the same settings to another FM, in this case Dexed, there's something really cool that it does with the sound when two notes are played together, some sort of modification on the pitch modulation, I don't know, but I need to achieve a similar sound on another synth. I'm trying the Dexed synth since it's FM

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 pm

READ THE LEARNING RESOURCES link at the top of the forum. Ableton has already provided the steps for you.
moosehead2 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:55 pm
there's something really cool that it does with the sound when two notes are played together, some sort of modification on the pitch modulation, I don't know, but I need to achieve a similar sound on another synth.
this is absolutely not a judgment on your skills but what you're after is really really really hard to do. and the closer you get to it the more annoying it will be to get it and will only make you learn to hate the original. this is true for any recreation of any instrument by another. guitars, amps, pianos, reference speakers, drum machines everything.

spend a LOT of learning about exactly how FM synthesis works.
to be an FM synthesizer it HAS TO follow some basic principles, these are learnable but you MUST sit and read about them.
every synthesizer is based on the SAME basic models but every one of them has their own twist/tone/nature to it.
it's by a thorough understanding of all these things that you can start to do what you're seeking.
do this until you can get the SAME EXACT BASIC ZERO CANCELLIING output from two different synthesizers. I mean just get a single oscillator from one to synch in time with a single oscillator from another synth, in phase, everything in control.

tip - do these steps with two analog synthesizers. analog synthesis is MUCH easier to understand but requires an understanding of how they work.

never touch a control without knowing which way you're going to turn it first.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

moosehead2

Post by moosehead2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello,

No worries. I'm a classical trained musician that it's just trying to play with synths.

The only thing I really want to do is achieve is this effect that happens when two notes play together. It doesn't allow you to play a chord but as I said, I'm very obsessed with the effect.

Maybe It's not about the patch itself but that one effect that I have to find out.

Anyway I'll check the resources you provided.

Cheers

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm

a slight change in volume between the two creates modulation in the volumes of the signals as they are played. tremolo.

a slight change in frequency between the two creates modulation in the tones of the signals as they are played. vibrato.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

moosehead2

Post by moosehead2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Hello,

Sorry to keep on bothering you.
It isn't that.

I've exported a little piece of a B1 that gets overlapped with and A#1 and creates the effect that I'm talking about.
Hope that can help find what I'm looking for:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0kk2rdqbcriy ... 2.wav?dl=0

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am

That's simple:
-set your synth to mono
- set the glide to ~ 50 msec (or more, just try).
Ableton Forum Moderator

moosehead2

Post by moosehead2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am
That's simple:
-set your synth to mono
- set the glide to ~ 50 msec (or more, just try).
Yes! That's it!!! Thank you very much!