My audio clips have become self aware. Help Pls. Pls Help.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tuneyard

My audio clips have become self aware. Help Pls. Pls Help.

Post by tuneyard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 am

I record dry tracks into Ableton Live 9 and listen to the playback. On the first time I usually hear nothing out of the ordinary and the take is good. Then, when I go to play it subsequent times, artifacts like crackling appear . What's even weirder is, that if the crackling is at 1:00 on the timeline for example, I might only hear the crackling if I begin the playback from 0:55. Any further back and the crackling disappears (I've confirmed all of this with an unbiased listener). This odd "crackling that appears depending on where you begin playback" phenomenon is driving me insane.

I doubt it's a buffering issue because I set it pretty high and use Live's cutesy tone test; and also because I don't hear the artifacts every time regardless of where I hit play, the way I would if they were printed due to a buffering issue. I've also tried two interfaces with no luck: Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen (with the latest driver), and the Clarett 4pre Thunderbolt (with the beta driver). I've tried with and without phantom power on my DI box. I am using zero devices/plugins so it should sound the same no matter where I begin playback. Can anyone help?

Here's today's setup:
Guitar>countryman DI type 85 (splits to amp and interface)>amp>sm57>Interface (the DI)>DAW.

Tarekith

Re: My audio clips have become self aware. Help Pls. Pls Help.

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Turn off warping for the audio clip you just recorded if you don't need to adjust its tempo.

tuneyard

Post by tuneyard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:39 pm

That seems to have helped. Thank you!

tuneyard

Post by tuneyard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Is there a way to disable this from automatically happening? I turned off "auto-warp long samples" and set "loop/warp short samples" to "unwarped one-shot" under preferences but it still sets every clip I record to warp.

ellicottvilleny

Post by ellicottvilleny » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:28 am

Maybe you need to change this and then set your template defaults. (Nope, tried that myself)
Last edited by ellicottvilleny on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellicottvilleny

Post by ellicottvilleny » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 am

This seems like a bug to me. I set it the same way and every clip I record is still automatically set to warp.

Maybe email support