The Ableton Index process

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: The Ableton Index process

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Nokatus wrote: Live has a pervasive indexing system over which the user doesn't have an appropriate level of control. Some people have problems with it and would like Ableton to have the decency to include an option for turning it off. It's also suboptimal and off-putting/insulting on the conceptual level, for the aforementioned reasons. The latter is a personal opinion, the actual fact (that Live 9 contains this sort of indexing design) isn't.
Live has an indexing system. That it is pervasive is your opinion and is not a fact [Actually, it is. I just misinterpreted. See answer below]. It's just a fact that this is an opinion that you and probably some other users have. I have no problem with that at all.

I'd agree with you that it was pervasive [again, wrong interpretation] if everyone was suffering from it. I don't even notice it is running myself. My personal experience does in no way mean that the stories from people that do have a different and more negative experience are invalid.

Could this indexing system be made better and offer more user control? I'd agree with that. But that wasn't what you said.

I maintain that you have indicated that you as a user do not have any personal experience with the Live 9 indexing system, at least not that you have shared with us. That's not to say there aren't users that feel the same way about indexing. These users do this out of personal experience, whereas you don't.

Instead of pretending that the perspective you have perceived from these users —valid as it is — is the only possible and the only valid one you could choose to be a little bit more nuanced in your communication about this.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Live has an indexing system. That it is pervasive is your opinion and is not a fact.
pervasive

adjective per·va·sive \p?r-?v?-siv, -ziv\
existing in every part of something : spreading to all parts of something

(The Merriam-Webster dictionary)

Tell me how I can disable the indexing in Live, in a supported manner, so that it isn't enabled all the time and in all locations, then?

:)

Trying to argue about this is of no importance, and as I implied, the way you do it isn't exactly brilliant. Starting out with "what do you know about this anyway?" and all that. Let's just drop it, that's silly and goes nowhere.

The fact is, there's an always-on indexing system in Live, enabled in all included locations all the time, and you can't choose to turn it off (completely or selectively) when you definitely don't want it to kick in. For some people, it most certainly does kick in and causes grief. If you don't like the way I worded it, I'm okay with that.

Ableton fellows, just count this as an official vote for some more control over the feature, thanks ;)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Nokatus wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Live has an indexing system. That it is pervasive is your opinion and is not a fact.
pervasive

adjective per·va·sive \p?r-?v?-siv, -ziv\
existing in every part of something : spreading to all parts of something

(The Merriam-Webster dictionary)
OK, I stand corrected. Language. I read it as intrusive. My bad.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 pm

Ok :), no worries.

Andycode

Post by Andycode » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Just to say that its 2018 and Live 10 indexing still remains the same if not worse...

Why on earth they haven't still gave us an option for stoping it makes no sense :/

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Andycode wrote:Just to say that its 2018 and Live 10 indexing still remains the same if not worse...

Why on earth they haven't still gave us an option for stoping it makes no sense :/
No problems here

djorno

Post by djorno » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Still problems here.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:25 pm

djorno wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm
Still problems here.
elaborate?