Sidechain certain frequencies

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alinaft

Sidechain certain frequencies

Post by alinaft » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 am

Hi there,

I'd like to know how to sidechain specific frequencies. I have vocals and rhodes keys competing for some mid-range frequencies, and I'd like the rhodes to duck whenever that happens. What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance!

wayfinder

Re: Sidechain certain frequencies

Post by wayfinder » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 am

There's a VST called Trackspacer that was made for this, but if you want to do it with Live's built-in FX that's also possible. Do you know how to do regular sidechaining? It's just like that, except you use a frequency splitter - an effect rack with three chains and an EQ3 with one band solo'd on each, and only put the sidechaining in the Mids chain. Then you can use the EQ3s' frequency controls to determine the lower and upper bounds of what should be ducked (probably best to assign the boundary values on the EQs to the same Macro in the rack). I'm pretty sure there's more than one tutorial with the details out there. Good luck!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 am

You can also use Multiband Dynamics.
Ableton Forum Moderator

alinaft

Post by alinaft » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:31 am

wayfinder wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 am
There's a VST called Trackspacer that was made for this, but if you want to do it with Live's built-in FX that's also possible. Do you know how to do regular sidechaining? It's just like that, except you use a frequency splitter - an effect rack with three chains and an EQ3 with one band solo'd on each, and only put the sidechaining in the Mids chain. Then you can use the EQ3s' frequency controls to determine the lower and upper bounds of what should be ducked (probably best to assign the boundary values on the EQs to the same Macro in the rack). I'm pretty sure there's more than one tutorial with the details out there. Good luck!
Thank you! Trackspacer looks really nice and easy to use!