Arming Options

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sj1

Arming Options

Post by sj1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi,

I am not having success in trying to use options -NoAutoArming or -EnableArmOnSelection in Live 11.

(Background on those can be found here: https://sonicbloom.net/en/10-hidden-fea ... tions-txt/ )

Have these startup options been removed? Is editing Options.txt no longer the way to invoke them? Is there some new way to accomplish the same thing?

What I observe is that my MIDI tracks always auto-arm on selection (audio tracks do not). This causes me issues with clip recordings taking place when I do not intend them to.
Live 11, Windows 10 Pro, LPP MK3

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Arming Options

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 pm

Entries you can use in the Options.txt file are not official features and so are prone to be removed.
Your midi tracks are armed on selection because you use a Push (or Launchpad or similar...).
Some M4L devices like this one have an option for auto-arming.
Ableton Forum Moderator

sj1

Post by sj1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 pm
Your midi tracks are armed on selection because you use a Push (or Launchpad or similar...).
Some M4L devices like this one have an option for auto-arming.
Yes, I'm currently using a recently acquired LPP MK3. That doesn't mean I don't want control over my own record arming :!: <g> If it is possible to point me to discussions around this topic so I can more deeply understand it, please do.

I thank you for your comment, and your reference to Futility. Are you a Futility user yourself? I can't tell from the description if Futility would give me the exact equivalent of -NoAutoArming or -EnableArmOnSelection, or not. If you know and can say, that would be great.

Thanks again!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm

sj1 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am
I thank you for your comment, and your reference to Futility. Are you a Futility user yourself? I can't tell from the description if Futility would give me the exact equivalent of -NoAutoArming or -EnableArmOnSelection, or not. If you know and can say, that would be great.
Yep. It's actually not mentioned on the maxforlive page, but it is here.
Ableton Forum Moderator

sj1

Post by sj1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Well, I bought it (Futility 3.5.2).

I put it on the master track and tried over and over to get it to stop auto-arming.

It did not.

It doesn't look like there is much I could have missed, but did I miss something?