Asio4All or audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tbadoo

Asio4All or audio interface

Post by tbadoo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm new to Ableton, using Live 11 Suite Trial, on PC Windows 10, i5 8400, 32GB RAM 1TB fast NVE.
Just over week ago started learning music production, I bought Arturia midi controller, installed Ableton Live and bought some tutorials online.
In one of them I've been told that I should use ASIO4ALL.. because :roll:
I installed them, and found one problem - after setting up I could use my speakers or headphones (depending of what I choose in ASIO4ALL menu, which is obvious. But then I couldn't use them outside of DAW (web browser, Spotify, etc.
I found workoround on youtube - to use Voicemeter Banana, which helps. But caused another problem - now I can't use external media controls.
It drives me mad - on Windows it's always something to workaround. I started thinking maybe I should buy Mac. The problem is new m1 Mac Mini is too fresh yet and not everything is working fine yet. So I found another workaround, if of course I'm not wrong.
I found that if I start music production then at some point I should use audio interface. And here's my question - If I use audio interface, can I avoid ASIO4ALL or I need it anyways? I have Dali 1 speakers (I know they are not proper monitors but I have live with them at the moment. And DT770 Pro (80 ohm)

slow.robot

Re: Asio4All or audio interface

Post by slow.robot » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:01 pm

most audio interfaces will have their own ASIO drivers, so you shouldn’t need to use ASIO4ALL. for all its usefulness, ASIO4ALL is known for not playing nice all the time. if you go with a Focusrite interface you should definitely use the ASIO driver that comes with it—ASIO4ALL isn’t compatible with Focusrite hardware.

tbadoo

Re: Asio4All or audio interface

Post by tbadoo » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 pm

I was bit overacting and to be honest I didn't ask proper questions.
I don't use any mic or external instruments. I just only use MIDI keyboard controller and PC Software. Additionally I don't have any monitors yet, just bookshelf speakers. So I don't think I need Asio4All, what's funny I don't think I suppose to even use any audio interface yet, until I buy monitors. I just started learning playing keyboard and using Live, so I'll stay with what I have now, WDM drivers should be enough.
Thank you for your response