Drum Rack, copy paste multiple slots?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Drum Rack, copy paste multiple slots?

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Id like to copy-paste 12 slots/one octave, to the next octave up. Is there a quick way for doing this? Im doing one by one, and because the tiny tiny gui window which is very...tiny? Its really almost impossible. Its not scrollable when you drag a copy/paste form one slot to another far up.. So far im moving one by one slot up in steps of 3 rows at a time. Its some sort of Tetris or Cube game going on, cause I need to move things around to be able to move other stuff up.

I must be doing it wrong??

theophilus

Re: Drum Rack, copy paste multiple slots?

Post by theophilus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 am

Think you can do it using the chains. Click the little symbol to expand the chains. You can multi-select chains if you want, then right-click, Duplicate. The original pads will change from whatever they are showing to Multi. Now, click the symbol for IO, and select the first duplicate chain. Fix the receive note to something different than the original note, and the first should not show multi anymore (should show just the original name) and the new one should show on the target note.

Note that if your chain has multiple subchains (I was using a session drums preset, so the Snare chain really has 6 notes), then you have to expand chains and do IO there instead. But it works, I just tried in Live 8.

If you just want to move a single pad to another note... the IO page is all you need, receive is the note that pad will respond to; changing that moves it around in the drum rack.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 pm

ze2be wrote: Its not scrollable when you drag a copy/paste form one slot to another far up..
yes, it is. you need to hover over the pad view selector until the little rectangle/waiting animation happens.. then you can scroll the pad view while dragging

but after a little experimenting I can't find a better way than one at a time (unless you do the duplicate + note editing as described in the last post)

so toss up. dragging one w/ no editing, vs. copy all at once but have to edit note info.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

also depending on how much you rely on the pad view, you can group and duplicate the chains, (now you have created a drum rack which replaced the original group of chains, and duplicated it's chain... now has 2)

then if you put a +12 pitch on the front of the second drum rack, you're good in terms of how it plays, but not on how it looks on the pads.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 pm

the way drumracks handle copying/duplicating of pads annoys me. i've moaned before about the way the 'duplicate' function creates a single multi-pad rather than a duplicate to the adjacent pad.

ignored drumrack improvement wish from april 09: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113168

*grumble*

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 31, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm bumping this only because, all these versions later, there isn't an easier way to move groups of Pads?

*groan*
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Bimmlu

Post by Bimmlu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Any news on this? Nothing in the manual about it in Live 9 :roll:

drum infected

Post by drum infected » Wed May 14, 2014 4:19 am

Was wondering this as well, but seen someone made a thread about this so I'm not the only one. Guess there isn't a way still.

*goes back to moving one pad at a time grind :(

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:45 pm

still? Wow this is a super basic function that should be easily implemented.