Ableton Live Hidden Feature - Show Devices on the Mixer!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Alroy

Ableton Live Hidden Feature - Show Devices on the Mixer!

Post by Alroy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:16 am

Hello i can't understand why this feature is not yet implemented i mean there's so much space left in the session view to show plugins and be able to a/b them. And apparently it is already in Ableton but why do we have to edit some text to get that ??? Oh and while we are at it just make it so we can a/b while draging down and RECALL plugins please (just like Logic does).

I mean this features should have been implemented a while ago this is basic stuff ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2v8CNkcNU

jonljacobi

Re: Ableton Live Hidden Feature - Show Devices on the Mixer!

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:31 pm

They’ve basically said they don’t see the point. Tried it and didn’t think it was worthwhile for some reason.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:20 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:31 pm
They’ve basically said they don’t see the point.
Hilarious

vishesh.l

Post by vishesh.l » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 am

wow this is super useful....im going to try it...there should be a button to do this...why is it hidden?

vishesh.l

Post by vishesh.l » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:17 am

ok so this feature is buggy, on some devices its showing properly, but on some its only showing the device on off button, on some devices the on off button is not aligned to the left, its in the center...but off center...i disabled it again

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:28 pm

It's buggy because it's unsupported and just an idea that was tested way back in Live 4. Once the concept of Racks was added to Live, it no longer made sense to continue work on this.

Like all the options.txt features, people are welcome to explore them, just be aware it can be removed at any time.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Buggy but working, so it's good it has not been nullified.

Interestingly, which plugings are in use in ableton projects is readily available by a third party Splice ^^

tomgulbinas

Post by tomgulbinas » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:23 am

The empty space is such a missed opportunity and could be put to great use by having plugins there. Having to click on each individual track when I am mixing to see the plugins I'm using is such a waste of time.

PR1392

Post by PR1392 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 pm

yooooo this is cool. i dont even use the session view for composing, and im sure theres a decent amount of people who dont, so support for these kinds of things would be cool

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 pm

I must admit, that I did get a glint of interest when I mentioned that it's just a good way to get an overview of what's in a project. For the life of me, I don't know why they would code it, then just basically ignore it.

I do think with the addition of lane comping, they're starting to lean a bit (Hah!) towards studio use again. Hide the launcher, expand the mixer and show the devices. Easy, peasy. I can just fathom why they might not want to hide the launcher to avoid accidents when used live. Both options would have to be in preferences, not on the main gui.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 am

Tarekith wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:28 pm
It's buggy because it's unsupported and just an idea that was tested way back in Live 4. Once the concept of Racks was added to Live, it no longer made sense to continue work on this.

Like all the options.txt features, people are welcome to explore them, just be aware it can be removed at any time.
I would say that once racks were implemented, this is when things are becoming particularly useful. A simple way to handle that is a tree, with indents. And as far as functionality, deep rack structure can be explored much more easily when you see the contents of multiple tracks at a time.

Some future version of push with a bigger display could make even more of that.

Also, colouring might indicate plugin issues, on off status, click and select could do high level on/off of all instruments and effects on multiple tracks at a time.

Very much in align with what distinguishes ableton from other DAWs.

Ast3rix

Post by Ast3rix » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:41 pm

I find it incredibly strange that they would think that someone mixing wants to switch between lanes just to see what plugins are active on the lanes. Having the feature to allow you to globally see all assigned plugins on a lane makes perfect sense. When you are mixing and finalizing your project it makes it so much easier to see what you did without having to spend alot of time shuffling around. All other DAW's do this because they understand how important that is for a user. Ableton dev's don't take alot of the basics into consideration they spend alot of time trying to dream up new devices but not improve the overall function and flow of the whole system. This is why this DAW is 20 years in and still missing alot of basics that other DAW's have had for more than 20 years. I am glad they are waking up and listening to us, but wow why so abrasively ignorant about basic features?
Ast3rix
————————
Ast3rix Music
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIW7PU ... 6qwiiX5n2A