Should track settings be on the left?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

In arrangement view should track settings be on the left like every other DAW?

yes
26%
no
74%

Total votes: 35

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:42 am

If they put it on the left, then everyone will assume we're all just a bunch of liberal left-winger!! 8O

Only playin... I personally don't care. I can switch between DAW's without problems either. Maybe that makes me ambiDAWstrius?

I do think it would be cool to be able to switch it around the way each user prefers... being able to detach certain windows, move em', re-arrange them at will. Of course not sacrificing music quality or performance... but then we'd all be happy, right?

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 pm

nowtime wrote:+1 אני לא קורא עברית
+2 Me neither
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I think it should be on the left because it's the norm.
Going against the norm, in some things, is a good thing, but in this particular instance it wouldn't hurt to put it on the left, but having it on the right definitely has some negatives.

One of the things I hear people complain about with Ableton live is the "funky" track view, and I have to imagine that one of the things that they're complaining about is this.

I can work with it, of course, but I still think it would be a good business move.

Actually, making these types of things configurable would be a good way of taking care of things. One of the things I like about some Adobe apps, like Premiere Pro, is that I can put just about everything wherever I want it to be, and freely resize them.

It seemed trivial to me at first, but since coming up with several screen sets with different layouts, my workflow has definitely improved. Different view for different tasks. Even better if I can remove some elements altogether when they aren't in use.

Take Sonar, for example:
You can slide the track view headers out of sight, and slide them back, but how I would love a simple button that just removes it (at its current size), and puts it back (at the same size).

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:50 pm

It's the only right wing decision that I enjoy
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Ilooman8

Re: Should track settings be on the left?

Post by Ilooman8 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:05 pm

please for the love of god just let people choose this for themselves! all you need is a setting that says orientation: standard / reversed or inverted

Mark Williams

Re: Should track settings be on the left?

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:10 am

Or maybe just use Ableton as it is.

Stop trying to make Ableton same as any other DAW.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P