Midi effect to delay or advance note?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
solconnection

Midi effect to delay or advance note?

Post by solconnection » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi all, im looking for a midi effect that i can put on that will delay or advance the note by however many mili seconds so i can play it realtime to have things (ie,hats/snares) play slightly before or after the beat.

are there any tricks to get ableton to do this, or failing, any commercial/freeware midi translators.

Im not too fussed on the idea on having another program like bidule running in the background just to do little things like this

thanks in advance for any help, have a nice day
-Dan

yur2die4

Re: Midi effect to delay or advance note?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:44 pm

There is Delay Compensation available for each channel in Ableton Live. The downfall is, I'm not sure if it screws with your latency???

On the mid-lower right hand edge (by the scrollbar) are window on/off options, hit the D, and play with those, see if you can get your phase on :)

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:04 pm

yur2die4 wrote:There is Delay Compensation available for each channel in Ableton Live. The downfall is, I'm not sure if it screws with your latency???

On the mid-lower right hand edge (by the scrollbar) are window on/off options, hit the D, and play with those, see if you can get your phase on :)
thanks for the reply, though this isn't quite what i am looking for, i hve a complex midi effects rack set up with chaining (acting as a step sequencer) and want a little midi effect i can drop in that is equivalent to the 'length' or 'pitch' midi effect, but for delay/advance. I don't want to offset the whole track

doesn't look like there is much out there on mac in terms of midi effects :(

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Chord + Arp. add a negative value note in Chord but set its velocity to the lowest possible setting (this makes chord hit two notes at a time, one being nearly invisible). In Arp (Up) set it to Free (milliseconds) and make it only repeat once in Retrigger. Your delay would be the amount of milliseconds. Add Velocity and set it to Gate, Low to 1 or 2. High to the max (this mutes the low note). You may need a Note Length (if your midi note is too short, it will not play out in Arpeggiator. I still can't imagine a negative delay value.

Do you think this help??

Edit: I'm not sure how well Note Length works in this combination.. And the application of Arpeggiator doesn't seem solid in this specific scenario. In order to have notes that go pre-note, I guess your best bet would be to place a step right before you want it's position, and delay it to the point that it almost meets that point.

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:07 am

yur2die4 wrote:Chord + Arp. add a negative value note in Chord but set its velocity to the lowest possible setting (this makes chord hit two notes at a time, one being nearly invisible). In Arp (Up) set it to Free (milliseconds) and make it only repeat once in Retrigger. Your delay would be the amount of milliseconds. Add Velocity and set it to Gate, Low to 1 or 2. High to the max (this mutes the low note). You may need a Note Length (if your midi note is too short, it will not play out in Arpeggiator. I still can't imagine a negative delay value.

Do you think this help??

Edit: I'm not sure how well Note Length works in this combination.. And the application of Arpeggiator doesn't seem solid in this specific scenario. In order to have notes that go pre-note, I guess your best bet would be to place a step right before you want it's position, and delay it to the point that it almost meets that point.

thanks man this is a really freaking cool solution :) While i wasn't able to get *exactly* what i was after (it's almost perfect but i cant seem to manage to get the first note to be silent) it's opened up some room for interesting techniques/ideas. I also thought pre-note would involve drawing the original midi notes in slightly ahead and setting the offset back to get them in the middle.

what do you mean by this line "High to the max (this mutes the low note)." think this is all i need to understand to get this fully working :)

thanks so much for the help, have a nice day
-Dan

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 am

ahh i see, you meant add a velocity midi effect, i thought you were talking about velocity on the arpeggiator :)

awesome effect, exactly what i wanted, thanks for your help
-Dan

AsleG

Post by AsleG » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:54 am

I am looking for something similar.
Want to apply a skewed sine kurv to my beat to create a groove (and not search blindly in the groove pool).
Typically want to be on beat for the first 1/4 of a bar, then up to 1/48 off beat around 3/4 then back to zero.
I have tried the M4L.md.07.DelayNotes with a LFO Midi to the Delay with Sync, Rate=4(for the bar), Depth=0.02%, Offset=-0,99. However controls are so big scaled to what I want so I cannot track what I am doing. Got to be a better way... Hmm.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:17 pm

AsleG wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:54 am
I am looking for something similar.
Want to apply a skewed sine kurv to my beat to create a groove (and not search blindly in the groove pool).
Typically want to be on beat for the first 1/4 of a bar, then up to 1/48 off beat around 3/4 then back to zero.
I have tried the M4L.md.07.DelayNotes with a LFO Midi to the Delay with Sync, Rate=4(for the bar), Depth=0.02%, Offset=-0,99. However controls are so big scaled to what I want so I cannot track what I am doing. Got to be a better way... Hmm.
You can achieve that "skewed curve, first 1/4 of a bar, then up to 1/48 off beat around 3/4 then back to zero" by simply using MIDI stretch, you can easily pick a point and "warp" 1/48 to the right, then all the notes in the time selection will be skewed right, the notes before the "warp point" getting progressively more skewed, the note after the "warp point" less skewed progressively.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/editi ... te-stretch
♥♥♥

Cradle2theGabe

Post by Cradle2theGabe » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:28 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 pm
Chord + Arp
Genius. I tried both of these effects separately to try to get the OPs desired result but didn't think to combine them. Now I can use my LDP8 controller to "reposition" notes in real time. Nice.