Record, Loop and Re-Record - Same Button

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrisaxe21

Record, Loop and Re-Record - Same Button

Post by chrisaxe21 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi,

Ableton 9.

I have mapped a midi button to the clip "record button" on a track. I can start the recording of that clip by pressing the midi button, press the button to stop the recording, and then the clip loops as expected.

What I'd like is if I press the midi button again, it overwrites the current clip by starting a new recording on the same track/clip entry.

Is this possible?

TIA

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Record, Loop and Re-Record - Same Button

Post by [jur] » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:32 pm

Nope. You need to do this manually. Or patch something in M4L.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:23 pm

What about assigning a midi input to the delete button? I can press "delete" on my computer keyboard, so if a midi button can do the same that could work. I'd need a 2nd midi button but i can live with that. One to start the clip recording. One to delete the clip via the "delete" button

fnord-23

Post by fnord-23 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm

Can confirm that with two buttons it's a fully functional looper. I mapped the multi-purpose button and "delete" to two buttons on a controller and don't need to touch the mouse for the looper any more.

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:37 pm

Thanks

Did you map it all in ableton or some midi to computer keyboard key mapper software?

fnord-23

Post by fnord-23 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:01 pm

All directly in Ableton. Why would you use any third party Software and thus introduce more possibilities for failure? A simple mapping is just one click in Ableton. Or did I get something wrong about what you want to do?

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:11 pm

I did try mapping the delete button in ableton but nothing happened. How did you do it?

Rootxp

Post by Rootxp » Tue May 02, 2023 10:59 am

chrisaxe21 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:11 pm
I did try mapping the delete button in ableton but nothing happened. How did you do it?
I m not 100% sure what "fnord" was talking about. Due to the mentioning of "multi purpose button" i m guessing though, that he is talking about the Ableton Looper Plugin. Which has nothing to do with what you are trying to do, as it handles AUDIO only (and besides has also some downsides, like it does not handle Clips in the session view, but rather manages audio in its own belly, forcing the user to do a "drag & drop" gesture when the audio should be a clip...).

The actions you mentioned are not supported in Ableton, because for whatever reason Ableton didn't think about people who love to use a simple looper functionality IN clipview, for midi and audio. So "jur" was right. But since he didn't tell you a specific solution, here it is:

Here's a way around it which you can try out: https://maxforlive.com/library/device/7 ... ding-tools
This is a recording tool, you put into your user library, and load it into the device-chain of any midi track.
1. FLEXIBLE POST RECORDING QUANTIZE
2. MIDI MAPPABLE "Delete what I just recorded" BUTTON
3. CLIP LENGTH ADJUSTER
You need Live Suite to run m4l devices. Also it might happen that you need the newest Live Version, you have to try.
You can also search for other devices on your own on that m4l site. There might even be a functional midi looper. I personally didnt try them out though. https://maxforlive.com/library/index.ph ... idi+looper

Another way around is indeed something like Bome Midi Translator. You can put "translators" in there, which translate Midi CC from your controller buttons to a specific shortcut, even DELETE (or ENTER, then you don't have to midi map individual clip-slots which i imagine as a pain).

All the best ;)

chrisaxe21

Post by chrisaxe21 » Tue May 02, 2023 11:15 am

I thought so. Couldn't find any other native way to do this.

I did find this post so going to see if the python method works

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=235724#p1780258