Way to export long arrangement to multiple files?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agoraphone

Way to export long arrangement to multiple files?

Post by agoraphone » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:23 pm

I have a DJ mix that I'd like to cut into mixed individual songs. Is there some way to do this? I added markers where the songs start, but can't find a way to export the master track to separate files between the markers. :(

Da hand

Re: Way to export long arrangement to multiple files?

Post by Da hand » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:58 pm

You have to export manually each section, but it won't take long if you already have your markers (Locators) set to the sections you want to cut.

To export a section:
- Right click on the beginning marker/locator of the section
- Select "loop to next Locator" (the arrangement loop brace will now contain the exact region between the start and end locators of the section)
- Left click on the loop brace (this will make a selection across all tracks of your arrangement contained in the loop brace, i.e between the two locators)
- In the menu, choose "Export Audio / Video" and then choose "Master" (this will export the master for the region you selected).
- Make sure to have Normalize set to Off (otherwise you may have jumps in volume between sections).
- Render

Repeat for all sections

* Notes:

- I find using the "loop to next Locator" + click much faster to select a region across all tracks than selecting it directly with the mouse.
- Using the "loop to next Locator" + click is also more precise, as it will snap to the markers/locators and not to the grid. The mouse selection may snap to the grid, while your markers/locators may not be exactly on the grid, for example.
- There is another option on the locator "Select to Next Locator", but that only selects across one track and not all of them, which is not useful for most Export scenarios.

agoraphone

Post by agoraphone » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:32 pm

Thanks so much for the thorough response! I will give this a try - not sure if it will be easier to go this route, or the way I did it before, which was exporting the entire arrangement, opening it in Audacity, adding my markers there and exporting the regions all at once. It seems silly that Audacity can do this but Live can't.

brianwdowling

Post by brianwdowling » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm

Good tip, I had not really paid a lot of attention to this menu before.