Push 3 Standalone - Stepic Alternative

Discuss Push with other users.
zenkick

Push 3 Standalone - Stepic Alternative

Post by zenkick » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:39 pm

I currently use an enjoy Stepic (M4L version) in the software.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a device (or devices) that provide similar functionality and proper mapping in P3S?
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

drez

Re: Push 3 Standalone - Stepic Alternative

Post by drez » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:39 pm

I have no idea how you would even come close to a usable app like that in the Push UI.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 am

Bwahahaha

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:04 am

you wont need Stepic.
Timing on Push Standalone is PERFECT ... :D

sorry cant resist.
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:40 pm

I agree @drez -- trying to wholly map Stepic functionality with the Push UI is not really feasible today. That was never expected.

And as to the snark, I was clearly asking if anyone knew of M4L devices which provide similar functionality on P3S, hoping someone who was more familiar with the M4L ecosystem would offer up their experience and advice before I went down that rabbit hole myself.

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:09 am

just ask the dev. of Stepic he is a very nice guy !

And no there is no alternative to steptic.
Only in Hardware. ERM Multiclock.
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:10 am

Actually there is an alternative to stepic. There is a free maxforlive device on maxforlive.com that is a m4l version of intelijel's Metropolis sequencer. Unfortunately it will have the same issue as stepic on push 2 or 3. It's less complicated than Stepic But it's very powerful. It's functionality is on point with Metropolis as I own an Metropolix. I own Stepic and Stepic is excellent but it is a bit quirky. The maxforlive device is called metroposeq and it's located here https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2266/metroposeq

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:13 am

and that UI would be much easier to manage with the Push3 screen/knobs/buttons... ;-)

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:31 pm

dest4b wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:09 am
just ask the dev. of Stepic he is a very nice guy !

How does an E-RM compare to a step and modulation sequencer? It really doesn't. If you said Oxi One or Hapax, that may have made some form of sense.

I think for Push3 to go to the next level, it needs to have sequencers that work with the grid like the Monome one does. I firmly believe that will happen, but it will probably require new development of the plugins.

For now, the sequencing in Push is very limited which is why I decided to buy the controller only version. I have too many go to M4L sequencers that are way better and only function when used with a laptop and Push combo.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:14 pm

dest4b wrote:
bodom76 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:31 pm
How does an E-RM compare to a step and modulation sequencer? It really doesn't. If you said Oxi One or Hapax, that may have made some form of sense.
Yeah, not sure how ERM Multiclock would solve anything here.
bodom76 wrote:
I think for Push3 to go to the next level, it needs to have sequencers that work with the grid like the Monome one does. I firmly believe that will happen, but it will probably require new development of the plugins.
I totally agree here. It'll be nice to see some attention to this by the development community and eventually Ableton.

But, for now -- I'm just using my Torso T-1 to "replace" Stepic in a standalone workflow when I'm not tethered back to the Live software mothership.

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm

zenkick wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:14 pm
dest4b wrote:
bodom76 wrote:
Yeah, not sure how ERM Multiclock would solve anything here.
bodom76 wrote:
I totally agree here. It'll be nice to see some attention to this by the development community and eventually Ableton.

But, for now -- I'm just using my Torso T-1 to "replace" Stepic in a standalone workflow when I'm not tethered back to the Live software mothership.
The torso seems like such a cool hardware sequencer. I have been curious about that one.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:43 pm

zenkick wrote:

bodom76 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm
The torso seems like such a cool hardware sequencer. I have been curious about that one.
I like the form factor and the immediacy of it to generate ideas or to control a few devices for a quick jam or sketching with other hardware or the iPad.

In the context of P3S, I'm only using it for the algorithmic/generative ideas. Once I get any sequences generated that I like, I just capture it on the Push and move on. Rinse, repeat.

So far it seems like a good stand-in for other in-the-box M4L solutions (especially with the beta firmware) -- it was just hopeful thinking that something out there existed that would work on the Push properly either piecemeal or in whole.

I also have a NDLR and an OXI One, either of which would probably also suffice.

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:12 am

zenkick wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:43 pm
zenkick wrote:

bodom76 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm
I like the form factor and the immediacy of it to generate ideas or to control a few devices for a quick jam or sketching with other hardware or the iPad.

In the context of P3S, I'm only using it for the algorithmic/generative ideas. Once I get any sequences generated that I like, I just capture it on the Push and move on. Rinse, repeat.

So far it seems like a good stand-in for other in-the-box M4L solutions (especially with the beta firmware) -- it was just hopeful thinking that something out there existed that would work on the Push properly either piecemeal or in whole.

I also have a NDLR and an OXI One, either of which would probably also suffice.
Anything in the M4l library that is similar to Torso you think?

bobbyturban

Post by bobbyturban » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:45 pm

vertgrall wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:10 am
Actually there is an alternative to stepic. There is a free maxforlive device on maxforlive.com that is a m4l version of intelijel's Metropolis sequencer. Unfortunately it will have the same issue as stepic on push 2 or 3. It's less complicated than Stepic But it's very powerful. It's functionality is on point with Metropolis as I own an Metropolix. I own Stepic and Stepic is excellent but it is a bit quirky. The maxforlive device is called metroposeq and it's located here https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2266/metroposeq

There are a few different sequencers that are inspired by intellijel's Metropolis (or the original ryk 185):
https://maxforlive.com/library/index.ph ... etropolis+

https://maxforlive.com/library/index.php?by=any&q=Ryk

I havent tried them, but i hope there is a proper solution for the push 3 standalone!