Push 3: Can't change headphone volume

Discuss Push with other users.
eclipxe

Re: Push 3: Can't change headphone volume

Post by eclipxe » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:52 am

Yeah removing the option to change it via select and touch seems like a really, really bad idea.

cjonesnyc

Post by cjonesnyc » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:12 pm

I went ahead and made a post in their beta testing program suggesting they don't remove this feature.

dkfusion

Post by dkfusion » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:18 pm

Thanks cjonesnyc, appreciated :)

audiotropher.matze

Post by audiotropher.matze » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:05 am

Annoyingly, I have the same problem. Pressing the volume encoder does not switch between cue, master, main and headphone. At least in 95% of my press attempts. Interestingly, this issue gets worse with increasing temperature of the Push3, thus longer usage time of the current session. Have reported the error to support and waiting. As long as I can switch via Select button, I can easily wait for an answer from support. Nonetheless, I suspect a hardware error that can only be solved by sending in the device.

mai

Post by mai » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 am

Maybe I can help you with this problem.

Also my volume knob reacted very unreliably when I pressed it to switch the different modes (Master Volume, Headphone Volume...). Often nothing happened, then it worked again, then again not...

I then noticed that the sound was different when I pressed it than when I pressed the Tempo knob. It sounded as if the volume knob was touching the housing of P3 when pressed. Since the cap of the volume knob was very loose, I could pull it upwards very easily.

When I removed it, there were no problems when pressing anymore. The cap of the Tempo knob was also relatively loose. So I removed it too and replaced the two caps. Since then, everything works as it should! :)

So I assume (at least in my case) that the cap of the volume knob is „simply“ a bit too high, so that it cannot be pushed down completely when pressed. In this respect, it is fortunately not a real hardware defect. Ableton would "only" have to replace it with a new cap.

As I said, it helped in my case. Of course, I don't know if it will help you. If you want to test it: of course at your own "risk"! ;)

I hope I was able to help.

cjonesnyc

Post by cjonesnyc » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:48 am

I received a replacement. So far so good though this issue didn't start happening for me until after a couple days of use.

The sound of pressing each knob is different. Volume being the loudest, tempo being the most quiet, the one on the right being somewhere in between.

chris_1731

Post by chris_1731 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:17 pm

I am having the same issue. we are a lot with the same issue, is there any possibilities there is a OS problem that will be fix by new firmware?

How much time did they take to replace your push?

it's very hard to spend this money and then start navagitaing this forum for checking all of this kind of issues. i want to use it live :(

thanks for your suggestions, to me even if i remove the knob and press by my finger it won't work, only with select

torgruva

Post by torgruva » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:51 am

chris_1731 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:17 pm
How much time did they take to replace your push?
Had similar difficulty switching volume controls, plus cross-talk on the pads. My replacement is on the way and took a couple business days to ship once the original was dropped off for return. IME, support was pretty responsive overall and simply asked to email them when I dropped off the faulty unit, so make sure to do that to get the quickest possible replacement.

chris_1731

Post by chris_1731 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:13 pm

thanks for the reply. I am going to start the incident with ableton.

It's very sad to have such a expensive product and discuss about this kind of disfunction :( :(

grubi

Post by grubi » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:08 pm

I also had the problem that pressing the volume knob did not register most of the time. Wanted to exchange my Push 3 at first, but luckily before I did so, I noticed what the problem was and fixed it myself. It's very easy.

The volume knob is not defective. The problem is, that the plastic cap that sits on the knob is too thick, so it touches the housing of the Push when you press it down, before the button can register. You simply can't push it down deep enough. Pressing very hard, at the exact center of the button, may help.

To validate the problem, simply remove the plastic cap of the volume knob by pulling it up. It comes off very easy (and can be installed very easy as well). Then you will see the metal axis of the volume knob. You can turn and press it, and as you'll discover everything will work perfectly.

Now to use the plastic knob again, there are two very simple solutions.

1) Make sure it sits a little bit (0.5-1.0 mm) higher on the axis. This is what I did. I put some layers of tape inside the middle hole of the cap, so the tape sits between the knob and the top of the axis. Works perfectly since. Took me 30 seconds for the "repair".

2) Of course, you could also use some fine sandpaper to remove a little bit from the bottom of the plastic cap. Same effect.

MikeyB59

Post by MikeyB59 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:31 pm

Mine is similarly broken. I’ve been able occasionally (though not repeatably) to get it to headphone or cue volumes by long presses, but it’s not a long term solution. The encoder doesn’t switch between volume types by clicking. Not happy 2k later, before I get into the software problems I”ve been having. This is an alpha level software product at full prices. Very unhappy with Ableton at this point.

grubi

Post by grubi » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:10 am

MikeyB59 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:31 pm
Mine is similarly broken. [...] The encoder doesn’t switch between volume types by clicking.
Have you tried removing the cap and using the encoder without the cap, as described above, to verify if the encoder is actually broken? The issue may be smaller than you think.

cjonesnyc

Post by cjonesnyc » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:18 pm

So I now have a friend experiencing the same issue. He thinks its probably because he mistakenly tried to use the volume encoder as a rocker knob like the large knob on the right side. Just wondering if any other people, having trouble did the same thing at one point.

analog_rome

Post by analog_rome » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:40 am

Got my P3S today, having the same issue: Pressing the volume shaft with the cap off switches about 90% of the time; With the cap on it switches maybe 10% of the time.

I'm not messing around with tape, this is something that will be constantly annoying and if it's not a firmware fix I'll be returning it for repair.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:54 am

Probably best to contact support if you think it’s faulty hardware.

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/