Quantization Menu bug

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MonoTeksist

Quantization Menu bug

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:40 am

When I choose "1 Bar" and play another clip, it plays it after only half a bar, so it does the same as if one chose "1/2 Bar".
in fact, it ALWAYS plays the other clip after half a bar! Setting it to 2 bars again does the same as the action I mentioned above.
Has anyone else also encountered this?

MonoTeksist

Re: Quantization Menu bug

Post by MonoTeksist » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:11 am

I may have targeted the wrong field.
It's the Clip Quantization setting in the Clip Launch panel that doesn't work at all.

What I did was used ALL Clip Quantization settings to try and get Live to play a clip with a length of 1 and 1/4 bar (so a 5/4 bar clip) and then play the next clip using a Launch Follow Action A setting of "Next".
And no setting works, at all. For some bizarre reason they all play 1 and 1/2 bar (so they play the 5/4 clip and then the first 1/4 of the same clip again), only then to play the next clip.

Also, Ableton moderators: are you being active on this forum?
Do I have to send one of you this text as a PM to get you to read it?
Why is Ableton being so passive on the forum?? :?
Looking at the amount of replies to threads, this place almost looks like a graveyard forum ...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:00 pm

I think the forum is more for communication between users. Mods are to smooth out any serious things, or help for really obvious problems. For more intricate problems, then you take your chances on the forum or contact technical support. Mods also try to keep things tidy and minimize issues with users.

As for your problem, it sounds pretty complicated and there are so many factors at play.

When you start working things out in complex time sigs, you have to take a more critical look at how Live is ‘thinking’ or interpreting information. It considers the global time signature and it also considers the location of the cursor on Arrangement View. If you have a time sign that is different from 4/4, or especially if you are changing time sigs through a set, the cursor can end up in inconvenient spots on arrangement view. This also affects Session View, which is kind of frustrating but Live needs Some kind of reference point for launching ‘1 bar’, when the ‘1 bar’ potentially changes count.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes we are active here, just check other threads…
The global quantisation is definitely acting weird for me too. Basically more than 1bar never gives me what I expect.
Honestly I never took the time to investigate this specific issue, and your post is a good reminder that this needs to be taken to Support.
Ableton Forum Moderator

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:21 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:08 pm
Yes we are active here, just check other threads…
The global quantisation is definitely acting weird for me too. Basically more than 1bar never gives me what I expect.
Honestly I never took the time to investigate this specific issue, and your post is a good reminder that this needs to be taken to Support.
Thank you for answering.
I don't think the position of the player marker in arrangement view should have anything to do with session view when AV isn't even being used.
To simplify things, Live could just create an option: "play clip" (at any length, 7/4, 3.5/159.9533, it shouldn't matter) and then do the Loop Action setting.
The technique used now is a bit of a mess imho and well, it just doesn't work and forces me to use AV when I'm still whipping up variations and experimenting with non-4/4 clips.

Sorry for the late reply, it's one of those "things" I have (scatterbrained).

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:00 am

I found out how it works: when playing a clip using Follow Action, the currently playing clip will play according to the Quantize setting of the NEXT clip it'll be playing!
So if you want to play a clip with a length of 5 beats you have to set the next clip you want to play to Quantize "None".
Whatever other value you set this to, that's for how long the first clip will play.
Talk about confusing ... :?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:51 pm

MonoTeksist wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:00 am
I found out how it works: when playing a clip using Follow Action, the currently playing clip will play according to the Quantize setting of the NEXT clip it'll be playing!
So if you want to play a clip with a length of 5 beats you have to set the next clip you want to play to Quantize "None".
Whatever other value you set this to, that's for how long the first clip will play.
Talk about confusing ... :?
:? That doesn't make sense reading this, I need to check it.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:57 pm

Yeah me too. It’s like it’s been bothering me for years but I never took the time to figure it out. Kind of super important, though.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:24 am

[jur] wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:51 pm
:? That doesn't make sense reading this, I need to check it.
Say, in session view, you want to play clip 1, then play clip 2 using Follow Action.
If clip 1 is of an unusual length, eg 5 beats in 1 bar, its clip's quantization settings don't work properly.
But when you set clip 2's Quantize setting to "None", Follow Action when playing clip 1 WILL work correctly, ie clip 1's 5 beats will get played, followed by clip 2 as it should.

You can just create an example track to try this out.