Chemical smell from second Push 3's pads giving me a headache

Discuss Push with other users.
rgarner

Re: Chemical smell from second Push 3's pads giving me a headache

Post by rgarner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:18 am

Well, here we are, three months later, and I've been using the P3C in hot weather again.

This, it turns out, was a mistake.

The smell is back, as is my headache. I've opened another support ticket.

I can't be the only one experiencing this, can I? There must be someone else here who maybe notices the smell (a sort of sickly burning chemical vanilla) and *doesn't* get a headache from it?

elbows

Post by elbows » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:35 am

Well so far you are, or at least are the only one who has noticed and been bothered by it enough to say something.

Also factor in that the standalone Push 3 uses the same hardware (and more) and can get very warm during use, so it might be reasonable to expect this to have a similar effect to the weather being warm. If this is the case then there is an even bigger theoretical pool of people who might have been exposed to the same situation.

Maybe it wouldnt be surprising if there turned out to be a wide amount of variation in how much different people notice and are badly affected by such things, different sensitivities to particular chemicals and smells, and that this is a factor at work here. And the brain can make very strong association connections between smells and memory, so if you've had a bad experience linked to the same smell in the past, that connection is ripe for immediate reactivation upon even a mild hint at a repeat scenario.

Your description of the smell might fit with a vague memory I have of a smell in the initial weeks of me owning the Push 3 standalone, but it didnt have a notable impact on me and I dont remember experiencing it recently. I'm due for some much lengthier sessions with my Push 3 this week and will let you know if I get a hint of anything relevant to this.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:35 pm

That's a thoughtful reply, elbows, thanks. It isn't as strong as the last one, and you're right, it's very easy to reactivate. I can think about the smell now without even being in front of it, and I'm very bad at imagining smells usually.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:37 pm

(It hasn't stopped me sitting in front of the thing this evening; I'm not sure I could live without it now. Such a great controller. I just don't want to think that I'm doing myself some damage by using it)

Post by 102455 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:40 am

rgarner wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:35 pm
imagining smells
I think that should be the name of your next album. :D

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:53 am

102455 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:40 am
I think that should be the name of your next album. :D