Push 3 MIDI Sync Problems

Discuss Push with other users.
wesslan_2049

Re: Push 3 MIDI Sync Problems

Post by wesslan_2049 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:39 am

mfrederickson wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:46 am
Found myself here after struggling with the same issue - I see External Sync as an option on the MIDI page, but can't seem to turn it on even though I have clock coming in the minijack MIDI in.

Oddly, the two port options, "Ableton Push 3 User Port" and "Ableton Push 3 External Port" aren't even mentioned in the manual, so I'm not even sure which is the minijack and which is USB A.
[Push standalone Version 1.1.11]
Greetings,
This is the result of my "investigation" :) so far :
  • "Ableton Push 3 External Port" is the option I use for the 3,5 TRS mini jack MIDI.
    --> I agree @mfrederickson that it is unclear with regards to the manual
    --> perhaps a more describing name would be more useful, might I suggest?
    *ping* @ableton
  • "Ableton Push 3 User Port" - I have nu idea yet :roll:
  • Devices attached to the Push's USB A show up on my Push with the name of the attached unit.
    -->For example, my "Arturia Beatstep Pro" is available as an option. :D
@mfrederickson, I hope this is helpful!

codenuts

Post by codenuts » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm

wesslan_2049 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:39 am
I would also be interested to know what this port is for. I have already asked a question about this here in the forum viewtopic.php?t=248423. Unfortunately, so far no answer.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:38 am

the.punk wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm
wesslan_2049 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:39 am
I would also be interested to know what this port is for. I have already asked a question about this here in the forum viewtopic.php?t=248423. Unfortunately, so far no answer.
I'm pretty confident it should be for when using Push in User mode... but this doesn't work.
Ableton Forum Moderator

beeswax123

Post by beeswax123 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm

Exact same issue here... have tried all combo's to get the push 3s to be a midi slave, but no luck.

This literally renders the push 3s useless for being a live instrument as part of a wider rig :oops:

randi

Post by randi » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 pm

beeswax123 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm
Exact same issue here... have tried all combo's to get the push 3s to be a midi slave, but no luck.

This literally renders the push 3s useless for being a live instrument as part of a wider rig :oops:
Beta already has working midi clock sync, it's coming for non beta as well soonish

beeswax123

Post by beeswax123 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm

randi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 pm
beeswax123 wrote:

Beta already has working midi clock sync, it's coming for non beta as well soonish
Oh really? I'm running

Code: Select all

v1.1.20b2
and no luck. Using 3.5mm -> MIDI via Motu. Works absolutely fine with any other hardware instrument in terms of receiving the tempo for each track thats triggered.

What settings are you using?

beeswax123

Post by beeswax123 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:56 pm

I have just set up a simple test rig.

Mac -> Ableton 11 -> Motu -> Push 3s

I can see MIDI messages being sent from Ableton and the Motu is flashing on all MIDI OUT ports as they are received.

The tempo on the Push is never updated, yet when i took out the USB from my Mac, the Push 3s states an error on the screen:

"The MIDI sync signal has been lost. Please check your cable connections and make sure the device sending MIDI Clock is operating correctly. External sync has been turned off."

So... its clearly receiving the signal... but why is the tempo never updating to match whats in Ableton?

randi

Post by randi » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:55 pm

beeswax123 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm
randi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 pm
beeswax123 wrote:

Oh really? I'm running

Code: Select all

v1.1.20b2
and no luck. Using 3.5mm -> MIDI via Motu. Works absolutely fine with any other hardware instrument in terms of receiving the tempo for each track thats triggered.

What settings are you using?
From 11.3.20b1 (!) release notes:
External Sync can now be enabled in the MIDI tab of the Setup menu, this makes it possible to set up external MIDI clock sync directly from Push.

I'm still on stable and thus haven't tested it yet
Will try to test tomorrow

beeswax123

Post by beeswax123 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:22 pm

Yeah exactly what i enabled, but didnt seem to make a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:10 am

beeswax123 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:22 pm
Yeah exactly what i enabled, but didnt seem to make a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Then make sure to report on Centercode if you haven't already, because that's the point of beta testing :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

beeswax123

Post by beeswax123 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:18 am

Yeah absolutely! I have submitted a detailed report via Centercode.

I'm hoping that this will hopefully be a reasonably straightforward fix for them, as its clear from the warning i received on the Push that its detecting the clock signal.

DiscoSuperFly

Post by DiscoSuperFly » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:04 am

I'm also looking into using the Push as a slave. Got 4 external synths and want to use the push 3 for midi and transition fx + some loops. Now I got an external clock I want to use but in the current public firmware it's not possible to externally sync push 3. Anybody has had any luck with the Beta? I'm willing to try it but before I do: will I lose my projects and user library or is it only the firmware thats updated? Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:26 pm

DiscoSuperFly wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:04 am
but before I do: will I lose my projects and user library or is it only the firmware thats updated? Thanks!
No, you won't lose anything.
But it's easy to go the safe route:
- open Live and connect its Browser to P3S
- create a "P3 backup" folder somewhere on your computer and add this folder to Live's Browser (you're not obliged to add it to your Places, it's just easier during the copy process)
- go to P3 Continuity (i.e the "Push" Place in Live's Browser)
- select everything and press cmd/ctrl+C (or use the alt+drag to drag a duplicate somewhere)
- paste this whole content in your "P3 Backup" folder

You now have a backup of your P3.
BTW, doing such a backup here and then is probably a good habit :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

DiscoSuperFly

Post by DiscoSuperFly » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:18 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:26 pm
DiscoSuperFly wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:04 am
but before I do: will I lose my projects and user library or is it only the firmware thats updated? Thanks!
No, you won't lose anything.
But it's easy to go the safe route:
- open Live and connect its Browser to P3S
- create a "P3 backup" folder somewhere on your computer and add this folder to Live's Browser (you're not obliged to add it to your Places, it's just easier during the copy process)
- go to P3 Continuity (i.e the "Push" Place in Live's Browser)
- select everything and press cmd/ctrl+C (or use the alt+drag to drag a duplicate somewhere)
- paste this whole content in your "P3 Backup" folder

You now have a backup of your P3.
BTW, doing such a backup here and then is probably a good habit :wink:
Thanks! I did indeed :) How big is the standard library on push? And how quick is the data transfer over wifi? Rough calculations tell me it was about 3-4MB/s?

Now - the Beta is showing external sync option. I used a midi A adapter to send clock from my ERM Multiclock to P3 and opened sync on the midi input. Sadly, it doesn't pick up the sync when I press play. My Octatrack plays but the P3 doesn't. I do see the scenes become green and blink, so it does pick up something... This should already be confirmed as a bug as it's pretty major, right? Is there something else I can try to make the external sync work?

I want to use it during a performance so what I will do is press play on the octatrack and P3 and use the multiclock synced to the octatrack to nudge the devices in the proper BPM. This way it needs a bit of adjusting during the 1h performance but should be no biggie. Unless the P3 will freeze during the performance haha and pickup sync randomly after - I'm gonna test this setup the coming days to see if it maintains a steady 125bpm compared to the octatrack.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:41 pm

@DiscoSuperfly

- Did you also activated the Sync option for your ERM midi input in the MIDI Settings view?
- the Green Play Button on Push does not light up when receiving midi sync and playing (it's a know bug) even when the sync is actually working. I suppose you tried with clips containing stuffs, but just in case you haven't already maybe that's what confused you.
- better of filling a bug report on Centercode even if it's already filled by others, since no one is using the same setup and the more info the devs have on which setup works and which doesn't the better.
Ableton Forum Moderator