Midi Muting is not working correct.

Discuss Push with other users.
jmljunior

Re: Midi Muting is not working correct.

Post by jmljunior » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:00 pm

Looks like this has always been a bug in Ableton. Here's a post from 2013 about the issue! viewtopic.php?t=194851

And there are several others posts about it. The point is that Ableton is not going to fix this because they don't see it as a problem. Which is arrogant imo, because this is standard midi functionality that they refuse to implement.

The other reason is that they want you to use "External Instrument" for your hardware midi tracks. Which would be fine, BUT, the problem with "External Instrument" is, you can't mute the midi notes by muting the channel. So if you have multiple hardware instruments running into one stereo input on your interface, there's basically no way to mute/solo a midi channel without stopping or disabling the clip.

In summary, so you either use a midi track because you want the mute functionality (and get hanging notes because the implementation is broken), or you use the external instrument and not have a true midi mute at all and have to use awkward workarounds to get midi channels muted. It's beyond broken.

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Highlight all notes in clip. Press 0. Done.

vertgrall

Post by vertgrall » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 pm

bodom76 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:31 pm
So when you jamming out. You think that is an acceptable means to mute midi? Forget smooth, forget elegant, forget intuitive, forget performance UX. It's a nasty bug. And I bet they got a mountain of tech debt surrounding it that probably has to be dealt with first before the can even fix. Hopefully in ableton 12 they re-write this.

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:45 am

vertgrall wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 pm
bodom76 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:31 pm
So when you jamming out. You think that is an acceptable means to mute midi? Forget smooth, forget elegant, forget intuitive, forget performance UX. It's a nasty bug. And I bet they got a mountain of tech debt surrounding it that probably has to be dealt with first before the can even fix. Hopefully in ableton 12 they re-write this.
when I jam out, I use clips and start and stop them. So it isn't a huge issue for me there, sorry.

rg01A

Post by rg01A » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:40 pm

jmljunior wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:00 pm
Looks like this has always been a bug in Ableton. Here's a post from 2013 about the issue! viewtopic.php?t=194851

And there are several others posts about it. The point is that Ableton is not going to fix this because they don't see it as a problem. Which is arrogant imo, because this is standard midi functionality that they refuse to implement.

The other reason is that they want you to use "External Instrument" for your hardware midi tracks. Which would be fine, BUT, the problem with "External Instrument" is, you can't mute the midi notes by muting the channel. So if you have multiple hardware instruments running into one stereo input on your interface, there's basically no way to mute/solo a midi channel without stopping or disabling the clip.

In summary, so you either use a midi track because you want the mute functionality (and get hanging notes because the implementation is broken), or you use the external instrument and not have a true midi mute at all and have to use awkward workarounds to get midi channels muted. It's beyond broken.
Muting an external instrument device should absolutely mute MIDI output as well as audio input. This renders muting pointless if external instruments are being routed to an external mixer instead of Live.

I have clips playing synth voices on an external module, being routed into my DJ mixer. There is so much creative opportunity taken away by only allowing control of synth playback by activating or deactivating clips.

marcusurruh

Post by marcusurruh » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:30 pm

Hello.

This is absolutely broken!

I worked with MIDI for decades, hanging notes where always considered as a broken implementation.
It can happen if you have broken connection or pulling cables, ONLY.

I'm also a former developer.
If you mute some source generating MIDI notes, hardware or software you absolutely need to send note off for all active notes!

This is just basic functionality.

This makes using pure MIDI tracks close to useless, only for very special cases like drones it can make sense.

I put a lot of my money on Ableton and Push recently.

I feel like I have been hit in my stomach.

Support telling someone this is how it is supposed to be is just sick.

EDIT:

I was considering leaving Ableton completely first.

But I think I could built a workaround with some Max4Live device quite easily, you would append it to the end of your MIDI effects chain for any track you need this functionality, it would monitor the track's Mute status and flush out Note Offs for any active notes on Mute activated. It then would work as expected.

Marcus

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:23 pm

seems that no one is interested fixing this Bug :(

its not a push problem ist a ableton problem. At least since 11.3
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:07 pm

I did not test as I prefer doing my groups with all the routing inside it (more flexible) but it sounds like an annoying bug.
That said, if you need a simple way to mute midi, you can make a MIDI FX rack with only one empty chain, and use the mute button of the chain.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1