APC40 MkII + Live 11 Suite: recent visual-response sluggishness

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
otalgia99

APC40 MkII + Live 11 Suite: recent visual-response sluggishness

Post by otalgia99 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:25 pm

Greetings everyone

Over the past couple of months I've been noticing that both Live & my APC40 Mk II are often slow to respond visually to some clip launches.

I feel like the interaction was originally pretty seamless (that was back with Live 9 Standard on the same APC) and I enjoyed that responsiveness for a long time. Lately tho I'm seeing a lag in responses and I want to see whether any of you all have thoughts on the situation.

Important to note that AUDIO response to launch commands from the APC appears (or... sounds??) as if it continues to be pretty effective. But the lag moment between the auditory response & its related visual confirmations (meters, blinking button) can be quite distracting when it happens. The gap of time can be long enough for me to ask myself if something's wrong before the thing hiccups back into gear.

I'd describe it this way: I press the launch button > the clip starts playing > but it's a second or 2 before I see meter deflection on the track in Live and the launch button on the APC starts to blink.

It doesn't always happen, but I used to notice it never and I experience it now just a bit too commonly.

The behavior is occurring on the "Perform Rig" system detailed in my sig.

All suggestions warmly welcomed!
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

S4racen

Re: APC40 MkII + Live 11 Suite: recent visual-response sluggishness

Post by S4racen » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:42 pm

What's your Clip Launch Quantisation set to, the clip will start blinking when you press the hardware button but not actual trigger until the next available quantised time point?

You may have this set at a clip or global level but good to rule this out first...

Cheers
D

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:53 pm

Thank you for the thoughts, and I will certainly look at that preference setting as you suggest.

However if I understand your comment correctly, then the problem I am trying to describe is the reverse of what you're saying::
S4racen wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:42 pm
the clip will start blinking when you press the hardware button but not actual trigger until the next available quantised time point?
In my case, the clip launch button does NOT start blinking until a second or two after the button has been pushed, and the clip has already been launched. Also, the fader meter in Live takes a second or two to display deflection even if the sound of that clip is already being heard.

As I noted in my original, the interaction between Live & the APC used to feel pretty seamless -- now, there's a hitch, but only some of the time.

I think it's only fair to note that as I have gone on with Live, I tend to use more complex processes in my tracks than I did back when I was simply launching audio clips -- before I began creating my own racks and so forth. So it could be that I'm simply asking a lot of certain tracks, although I haven't really been able to narrow the behavior down to particularly complicated ones -- it seems to happen wherever, whenever.

Part of me is beginning to wonder whether or not there's some kind of firmware update necessary on the APC, but... I'm always so... reluctant to apply those, unless I find very positive feedback about it.

Thanks again!
O99
Perform. rig
MacBook Pro 2015 | OS 12.6 | 2.8 GHz Quad Intel i7 | 16Gb RAM | 4 Tb External HDD (USB3) | MicroBook IIc | Akai APC40 MkII | LIVE 11 Suite

Prod. rig
Mac Studio M1 Max | OS 13.2.1 | 64 Gb RAM | MiniStack STX | ApolloX6 | Live 11 Suite

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:38 pm

How does it respond to a set of only audio clips with zero effects in any channel, zero effects on Master, and zero effects in Return channels? And by zero, I mean not just turned off but completely removed

otalgia99

Post by otalgia99 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:07 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:38 pm
How does it respond to a set of only audio clips with zero effects in any channel, zero effects on Master, and zero effects in Return channels? And by zero, I mean not just turned off but completely removed
Thanks for the question! Many apologies for my lack of reply -- I'm currently in the middle of a major relocation and have been out of touch with Matters Music for several weeks (everything is still in crates!)

I'll make the test you recommend and report back with findings as soon as things are back up on line. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

O99
Perform. rig

Prod. rig