Group tracks as clips / group clip editor

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
zombiestepler

Group tracks as clips / group clip editor

Post by zombiestepler » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:35 am

In modern production, the role of some instrument, be it drums, bass, vocals, etc., as a rule, is performed not by one track, but by several tracks. I propose to rework and supplement the very concept of group tracks, so that all the tracks that are included in the group could be changed and edited in a special window, as if it were an individual midi or audio clip. And also so that in the arrangement mode it would be possible to apply the loop function to this clip and continue it in time, so that all changes in the clip are copied throughout the entire area over which it is stretched, at the moment this is only possible with midi clips and with uncut audio clips.

Also in the group track editor it is necessary to add the ability to select for display only some of the tracks that are in the group, and not all at once. This will greatly simplify the workflow with large groups with more than 10 tracks, etc.

A convenient process for creating complex automations, in the group clip editor, it should be possible to see and change the automations of both the effects of individual tracks of the group, and those effects that are in the rack of the group itself.

Here are some opportunities that this mechanic will open up:

The ability to edit complex parts from a variety of instruments and audio clips directly in session mode.

The ability to create more complex drum loops, for example, use reverse samples, this is extremely inconvenient to do in a piano roll, as the note does not display exactly when the sample ends.

Ability to conveniently add MIDI triggers for sidechaining when working with audio drum loops

The ability to conveniently create sketches in Arrange mode and save them in Session mode for later use without cluttering the Arrange mode timeline.

Right now, if you create a loop that includes many chopped audio clips with different pitch bends, warp modes, etc., and click "Consolidate Time to New Scene". then the clips on each track will be edited as a new audio clip, in which all individual settings for pitch, warping, etc. will be removed, this is especially inconvenient when working with so-called “mud pies”, long samples that you cut up and select suitable pieces from them.

I propose to make it so that when you click "Consolidate Time to New Scene" on a group clip, the audio clips retain all their parameters and are not rendered into a new clip

And there are many other advantages of using this approach, which can be listed endlessly.

Below in the screenshots I tried to very schematically depict how it should look approximately. I apologize for my terrible Photoshop skills, as well as for grammatical errors since English is not my native language. This is a very raw concept and I will be extremely glad to see any suggestions regarding how it should be supplemented, improved or changed in the comments.

Angstrom

Re: Group tracks as clips / group clip editor

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:33 pm

I strongly approve of this idea and believe Ableton should get on it.

However, I do have the suspicion that this sort of idea (encapsulation ) has been suggested for nearly 20 years and has had no movement so far. But we can hope. Perhaps lucky number 13 will bring some more flexibility and non-linear creativity to the arrangement tools.