session view - change bpm of all selected clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clay

session view - change bpm of all selected clips?

Post by clay » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:57 pm

im creating a live set in session view. dragging in a lot of clips at different bpms with different bar lengths some 6 bars some 9 bars etc. LIve is not seeming to like non standard bar lenghts and is creating strange bpms for the clips. Im having to go in and set the bpm of each clip individually. If I select more than one clip, the bpm cell in the clip disappears :(

is there a way to select relevant clips and change the bpm of all of them? seems like it should be a simple thing?

S4racen

Re: session view - change bpm of all selected clips?

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:41 am

Umm what?

Live works to a single tempo, when you say you're dragging clips in I'm assuming g you mean from an external source?

You need to warp each clip to the current tempo, and then when the global tempo changes so will the clip.

Cheers
D

clay

Post by clay » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:11 pm

maybe give it a try yourself?

set bpm of session at 117
export some clips out at 117 at different bar lengths including ones not in multiples of 4, like 6 or 9 or even 10 bars.
drag those clips into session view - warp them
see what happens

for me Live tries to predict what each clip's bpm is but it gets it wrong when the bar length isnt a multiple of 4 eg not 4,8,16,32
it also gets the bar length wrong
so i have to go into each of those clip and set the bpm and bar length

hence my question, can i select multiple clips and set the bpm of them all (in bpm cell in clip view)? That would save me heaps of time.

In retrospect maybe I should have got live to create an analysis file for each exported clip? that possibly would have helped when importing back into session view but i usually have that turned off so it doesnt create extra files each time i do a bounce of a song. I will try that next time.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:10 pm

Nah, I'm happy with the way live works and I've never needed to ever go into a clip and change the BPM< it's basically irrelevant when you're using warped clips...

Cheers
D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:32 am

I don’t think BPM is one of those things you can change in multiple clips at once sadly.