Live 12 - new browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Live 12 - new browser

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Not the Live 12 tags, they are stored in the Live database file.

plusma

Post by plusma » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:49 pm
Pretty sure tags are only for Ableton and stored in the Live database.
That would be a strange decision. Wouldn't it be better if external sample packs or ableton racks were directly tagged with the correct tags when you download them because they were prepared like this by the creator?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Talk to Ableton, not my call.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:55 pm

plusma wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:36 pm
Tarekith wrote:
That would be a strange decision. Wouldn't it be better if external sample packs or ableton racks were directly tagged with the correct tags when you download them because they were prepared like this by the creator?
"Universal" tags have been and are still a problem. You can embed stuff in eg .wav or mp3, but that's not made easy.
There's a reason why it's so complicated to tag files for sound libraries and that each sound library player/editor (Soundminer, AudioFinder, Basehead etc...) are almost incapable of inter-operability and use their own tags database. You often end up resorting to the only universal and solid solution: giving meaningful names to the files.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:25 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:55 pm
plusma wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
"Universal" tags have been and are still a problem. You can embed stuff in eg .wav or mp3, but that's not made easy.
There's a reason why it's so complicated to tag files for sound libraries and that each sound library player/editor (Soundminer, AudioFinder, Basehead etc...) are almost incapable of inter-operability and use their own tags database. You often end up resorting to the only universal and solid solution: giving meaningful names to the files.
I'm really glad Ableton came up with the dual solution they did to file browsing, but I've never completely understood why there hasn't been a universal consortium on file tagging, plug in parameter mapping, and even just universal names for object oriented MIDI and audio. Every audio developer comes up with their own ways to solve what are universal problems. So Clips are Objects, are Items, are....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:02 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:25 am
I'm really glad Ableton came up with the dual solution they did to file browsing, but I've never completely understood why there hasn't been a universal consortium on file tagging, plug in parameter mapping, and even just universal names for object oriented MIDI and audio. Every audio developer comes up with their own ways to solve what are universal problems. So Clips are Objects, are Items, are....
I could be wrong, but in my experience databases are often not friendly to backward compatibility. For example, a database that was created in 32 bit environment typically cannot run with 64 bit software… such as Microsoft Access. I see this in my day job where ancient databases dictate what can and cannot be used to access the data. I’ve seen software such as Sage (often used in business settings) that leverage SQL and prevent users from using 64 bit versions of Excel when running reports

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 pm

H20nly wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:02 pm
Machinesworking wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:25 am
I could be wrong, but in my experience databases are often not friendly to backward compatibility. For example, a database that was created in 32 bit environment typically cannot run with 64 bit software… such as Microsoft Access. I see this in my day job where ancient databases dictate what can and cannot be used to access the data. I’ve seen software such as Sage (often used in business settings) that leverage SQL and prevent users from using 64 bit versions of Excel when running reports
For sure things could break a universal standard, but the idea of one is to get a base to operate off of. I mean Apple did it for Core MIDI and Core Audio, Steinberg did it on PC for ASIO, and all platforms with VST2 and 3. MIDI in general is a universal standard, even when adopted to USB it didn't break, it got better really.

I mean for instance if there was a universal Macro set attached to AU and VST that allowed companies like Ableton to just instantly tag a VST for 8-24 parameters to be controlled by any control surface, we wouldn't be dealing with Ableton's home grown solution, NI's NKS mess, akai VIP, the weird way Logic does it, and other DAWs (Reaper, DP etc.) just lack of any universal macro controls for plugins.

I get it though, where is the money? It's why it's taken 20 odd years for CLAP to come around, and Ableton along with most companies haven't adopted it yet.

Jolaff

Post by Jolaff » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:21 pm

Well, while waiting ...I'm gonna ask questions :mrgreen: ...Cubase also have tags system in media bay but it's super laggy/slow ....how reponsive Ableton browser is ?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:26 pm

Jolaff wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:21 pm
Well, while waiting ...I'm gonna ask questions :mrgreen: ...Cubase also have tags system in media bay but it's super laggy/slow ....how reponsive Ableton browser is ?
It's instantaneous!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Jolaff

Post by Jolaff » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:29 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:26 pm
Jolaff wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:21 pm
It's instantaneous!
Thanx for all the answers !

KC FYX

Post by KC FYX » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:12 am

plusma wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
You could group your own external samples and add your own custom tags?

royston

Post by royston » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:06 pm

I'm wondering if Tags are exclusevily for Sounds, or other stuff too (eg Clips)?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:39 pm

Other stuff too :)

Jolaff

Post by Jolaff » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:02 am

I see that there is tag sub category in factory tags... but can we create sub category of tag in our custom tags ? I have access to the beta now and I can't figure out how...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 am

Best to address all Live 12 questions to the Centerfode forum.