Re: Largest NVMe drive for Push 3 Standalone

Post by Just_Pierre » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:23 pm

zenkick wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:36 pm
mslinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:57 pm
CH7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:12 am
I've got a Gen4 2TB working now on the Push.

The Push with this 'slow' 4800Mb/s Gen4 SSD now boots in 35 seconds. These things can do 7400Mb/s which i wish i'd gone for.
Sounds like you are saying that the P3 BIOS accepts 2 TB, and the Push motherboard supports Gen 4 PCIe. Thanks, I will buy a fast 2 TB NVMe (M.2 2280 format) drive with PCIe Gen 4 capability, like a WD_BLACK SN850X (https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-2 ... 6820250247)
FYI - I have a 4TB G4. Push recognized it.
Which version? With or without the heatsink?

mslinn

Post by mslinn » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm

Since you cloned the drive larger than 2 TB, then increased the /data partition size, that must mean the original drive was formatted as GPT instead of MBR.

CH7

Post by CH7 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:28 pm

mslinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm
Since you cloned the drive larger than 2 TB, then increased the /data partition size, that must mean the original drive was formatted as GPT instead of MBR.
its fair to say, all the same I would not make any assumptions. Since when you clone the drive, you can't simply drag the 'data' partition larger. Push wont recognise the size increase. Remember you have cloned the drive partition block also.

Instead, i found you have to delete the 'data' partition, then recreate that partition to use all of the available space. Using gparted, recreate data partition as ext4 making sure to name and lable it as 'data'. Even then it will be read-only with limited access by default. You need to open a terminal and run 'sudo chmod -R 777 <partition location>' This comand sets access previlage to 'read/write/execute' for all on that partition. Then you drag everything over from the original data partition to this new data partition.

If you don't set the privilages, Push will see the data partition, it will see its new size but wont be able to write to it. I found this out the hard way. Btw this is all done on linux, not windows.

mslinn

Post by mslinn » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:38 pm

You can resize the data partition. No need to delete and recreate it. Both gparted and Macium Reflect can do that.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:47 pm

Just_Pierre wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:23 pm
Which version? With or without the heatsink?
It did not have a heatsink.

And by the by, I've never purchased an NVME that had a heat-sink that was "built-in". IME, they are added after-the-fact as needed for your application, or your enclosure includes one.
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:56 pm

CH7 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:28 pm
Instead, i found you have to delete the 'data' partition, then recreate that partition to use all of the available space. Using gparted, recreate data partition as ext4 making sure to name and lable it as 'data'. Even then it will be read-only with limited access by default. You need to open a terminal and run 'sudo chmod -R 777 <partition location>' This comand sets access previlage to 'read/write/execute' for all on that partition. Then you drag everything over from the original data partition to this new data partition.

If you don't set the privilages, Push will see the data partition, it will see its new size but wont be able to write to it. I found this out the hard way. Btw this is all done on linux, not windows.
I did not find this to be the case.

From Push, I'm able to write to the drive without issue.

Of course I haven't filled up all the space past the original data partition size. When/if that happens, and I encounter a permissions error, I'll just ssh in and repair as needed.

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 pm

mslinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:35 pm
I did not check this specifically, but these days I would assume that it was indeed GPT.

sanderbaan

Post by sanderbaan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:15 pm

Did some of you replaced the SSD after you activated the P3 when you got it or did you replace it without having turned on the device when you received it?

Post by 102455 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm

After.

Activated the unit, transferred loads of stuff onto it, used it a bunch.

Saw a video on YouTube about upgrading the storage, ordered a nice big drive and an external caddy.

Installed Linux on a spare laptop, cloned the contents of the original drive (in the caddy) to a file on the laptop.

Swapped the new drive into the caddy and restored the image to the new drive. Insert new drive to Push 3.

sanderbaan

Post by sanderbaan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm

Awesome. I just got my Push 3 SA and have already a 2TB SSD here but still missing the USB enclosure which comes tomorrow but then I will just activate everything and play around already.

Thanks for the info

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:10 pm

Nothing wrong with people experimenting with new drives, just remember you might void your warranty and any support options for your Push should you require them in the future. 👍🏼

Wubzy22

Post by Wubzy22 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:24 am

Can all this cloning and formatting or the new SSD for Push 3 be done on a mac.? Or must I install Linux on my windows laptop?
Thanks

mslinn

Post by mslinn » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:40 am

The first part of the job is to clone each sector without interpretation or modification. Any bit-for-bit cloning software could do that.

The second part of the job is to increase the size of the /data partition. I expect to find that /data is an ext4 partition on a drive with a GPT format partition table, but I have not looked yet. Stretching the /data partition would require software that supports ext4 partition editing. For this purpose, I use gparted on Linux, and Macrium Reflect on Windoz. I do not use macOS anymore, but seem to remember macOS has something with a name similar to Drive Utility - unfortunately, I do not know if Apple's software knows anything about ext4 partitions. I can tell that many or most macs these days have GPT-format partition tables, so no worries for you about that.

Wubzy22

Post by Wubzy22 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:24 pm

mslinn wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:40 am
The first part of the job is to clone each sector without interpretation or modification. Any bit-for-bit cloning software could do that.

The second part of the job is to increase the size of the /data partition. I expect to find that /data is an ext4 partition on a drive with a GPT format partition table, but I have not looked yet. Stretching the /data partition would require software that supports ext4 partition editing. For this purpose, I use gparted on Linux, and Macrium Reflect on Windoz. I do not use macOS anymore, but seem to remember macOS has something with a name similar to Drive Utility - unfortunately, I do not know if Apple's software knows anything about ext4 partitions. I can tell that many or most macs these days have GPT-format partition tables, so no worries for you about that.
I cloned the drive to another external ssd but the file system was “unknown”. I could not extend the partition in gparted. So I formatted the 2nd ssd with ext4 and am now trying again.

mslinn

Post by mslinn » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:38 pm

What software did you use for the clone?