Triggering Bass Line From External Trigger and Notes from MIDI Clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SimonCB

Triggering Bass Line From External Trigger and Notes from MIDI Clip

Post by SimonCB » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:13 am

Hey team, wondering if anyone can shed some wisdom on this poor soul.

I'm trying a hybrid drumming setup and I'd like to trigger a walking-esque bassline. The setup is this: I have a trigger on my kick drum which, via an SPD, is sending MIDI into Ableton. On channel 1, I have a bass patch (the audio output channel). On channel 2, I have a MIDI clip with the notes I'd like to trigger as part of this bassline, feeding the MIDI back into channel 1. Since I'm aiming for a walking-type bassline, these notes aren't in a set order and can be randomised (however, triggering them via a clip like this gives me more control over exactly what notes I'd like in the chord).

What I'd like to do is make it so that whenever a trigger note is sent (i.e. when I hit the kick drum), I trigger one note at a time from the chord in my MIDI clip that's going into my bass patch. I'm thinking about this in two steps:
1) When the MIDI chord from Channel 2 comes through to Channel 1, I'd like something that extracts only one note from the chord at a time
2) I'd like the note to be triggered by the signal from the aforementioned kick trigger (this means using an Arpeggiator in the conventional sense won't work)
I have a hunch the latter will have something to do with the envelope follower, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'm using 11 Suite, so I'm open to Max for Live solutions too!

Cheers!

(PS: I have previously experimented with triggering notes through the randomiser and then the scale to quantise them into a chord, but this didn't give me the result I was after, so I'm trying to see if this will work.

S4racen

Re: Triggering Bass Line From External Trigger and Notes from MIDI Clip

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:30 am

Search out the Ableton Drummer on YouTube, he'll have a solution for this!
CHeers
D