latency issue in audio recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Oraya

latency issue in audio recording

Post by Oraya » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:17 am

Hi guys
I am new in the group and I would like to ask for some support.
I make instrumental ambient using a variety or instruments from handpans, african harps, hand drums with some digital touch of vst and plug in reverb/delay ecc. I mainly use mics direct in RME UCX II. My workstation MBP M2pro - 10 core - 32GB Ram.

I am having a very frustrating issue with latency in recording via audiocard (RME UCX II). After I record the instrument, the audio is never in synch with the other tracks nor with metronome but slightly out so manual warping its always needed. By looking at the transients on the grid, I have noticed that it oscillate between been early recorded or delayed of a very few ms which is quite annoying for my ears.

The RME driver I am using are Driver Kit the latest version with updated firmware.
64 or 128 samples / 48000 / I have a round latency of about 4.31ms.
Ableton Live11 (latest update)

I have changed the buffer size and sample rate to get the best performing latency, tested also on an empty project using only 1 single audio channel with monitor off in ableton and direct monitoring via audiocard but Nothing worked!
I have contacted RME and for them isn't related to the audiocard.
In my project, I have activated the delay compensation and everything that I know regarding latency performance.

Shall this be an unresolved issue or is there a chance to get it sorted? Is it normal that a I get this tiny delay which even ableton don't manage to properly compensate?

Thank you for reading and tuning in!

dsu

Re: latency issue in audio recording

Post by dsu » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:22 am

Not sure if this is going to help but it might be worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT5mD2Zd7F8

Oraya

Post by Oraya » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:23 am

dsu wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:22 am
Not sure if this is going to help but it might be worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT5mD2Zd7F8
I have watched that video and done the routing check as he explained. Still same problem.
I found other people having similar problems with Ableton but not with other DAW such as Logic, FL…

NIELS ON

Post by NIELS ON » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:23 pm

Oraya wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:17 am
Hi guys
I am new in the group and I would like to ask for some support.
I make instrumental ambient using a variety or instruments from handpans, african harps, hand drums with some digital touch of vst and plug in reverb/delay ecc. I mainly use mics direct in RME UCX II. My workstation MBP M2pro - 10 core - 32GB Ram.

I am having a very frustrating issue with latency in recording via audiocard (RME UCX II). After I record the instrument, the audio is never in synch with the other tracks nor with metronome but slightly out so manual warping its always needed. By looking at the transients on the grid, I have noticed that it oscillate between been early recorded or delayed of a very few ms which is quite annoying for my ears.

The RME driver I am using are Driver Kit the latest version with updated firmware.
64 or 128 samples / 48000 / I have a round latency of about 4.31ms.
Ableton Live11 (latest update)

I have changed the buffer size and sample rate to get the best performing latency, tested also on an empty project using only 1 single audio channel with monitor off in ableton and direct monitoring via audiocard but Nothing worked!
I have contacted RME and for them isn't related to the audiocard.
In my project, I have activated the delay compensation and everything that I know regarding latency performance.

Shall this be an unresolved issue or is there a chance to get it sorted? Is it normal that a I get this tiny delay which even ableton don't manage to properly compensate?

Thank you for reading and tuning in!
The inconsistency sounds more like a warping issue than latency. Have you tried to completely turn warp for those tracks off and checked if they are playing consistent then?