Constant crackling on brand new laptop and new live account

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chilito

Constant crackling on brand new laptop and new live account

Post by Chilito » Sun May 12, 2024 3:16 am

Hi guys. I just loaded Live 12 on a brand-new HP Envy running Windows 11. Im using a Wrugste interface and Asio4All. Im getting constant distortion and crackles when recording audio and midi. Even when i just play the metronome I get double beats and distortion. Because the laptop is new, the CPU usage is very low. Ive tried raising the buffer size and it worked for a few minutes but then it started again. Any ideas? THanks. Also I just realized that the distortion only seems to happen when im running output through the interface. If i just run sound through the Realtek speakers, I don't seem to have the same problem. Thanks

H20nly

Re: Constant crackling on brand new laptop and new live account

Post by H20nly » Tue May 14, 2024 12:07 am

I looked up that Wrugste interface and it doesn’t appear to have a dedicated driver. I’m sure there’s someone that would be happy to argue with me, but I don’t think ASIO4All is the best driver for recording. That interface appears to be a clone of a Focusrite Scarlett, which *for the money* is a damn good interface. If you send the Wrugste back and got the Focusrite, I doubt you’d regret it.

If you’re determined to keep it, then I would focus your efforts on trying to optimize your PC for use as a DAW. Disabling internet and antivirus might help too.

Sweetwater has some good articles about PC/Mac optimization for DAW use. Check their Knowledge Base articles

EDIT: links
Sweetwater KB
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ma ... imization/

Scarlett on Amazon: https://a.co/d/01VfiYQ

Chilito

Post by Chilito » Tue May 14, 2024 2:21 am

I'm not at all attached to this interface. I just assumed that there wouldn't be much difference between most two channel interfaces. Rookie mistake i guess....Ill test out another interface and see how that goes. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Chilito

Post by Chilito » Tue May 14, 2024 2:22 am

Thanks for the links as well