New Abelton user cant record drum machine clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Curious Cat

New Abelton user cant record drum machine clip

Post by Curious Cat » Sun May 19, 2024 4:17 am

Hi. Im new to recording and Ableton. I have been able to record midi into clips in the session view. I found a drum machine clip that sounds great as is when I demo it. Heres where I found it, Packs/Core Library/Racks/Drum rack/Drum machine. I added a "new midi track". I selected a scene to play and then demoed several drum machines and settled on DMX Core kit. I highlghted/selected my new midi track and doubled clked the drum demo. Nothing. I tried to drag the drum machine to the new blank midi clip. Nothing, What am I doing wrong? When I double click the new track heading that says DMX core kit it just opens up the midi section. I dont want to build drums , I just want the already constructed loop. Thanks for any help.

Curious Cat

Re: New Abelton user cant record drum machine clip

Post by Curious Cat » Wed May 22, 2024 12:06 am

3 days, 75 views and 0 answers. Im new to this, am I posting in the wrong section or is this just a dumb question?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed May 22, 2024 12:25 am

If you go to the midi editor, do you see notes for the different drum sounds on the piano roll?

What version and Edition of Live are you using?
Maybe there is something in the rack that is not supported and hence no sound is produced.

Does the rack produce sound when you play some notes on the keyboard? Make sure the track is armed (record button of the track must be enabled) and you are in the correct octave.
You can see in de pad overview on the left side of the drum rack what notes are coming in.
If you use the computer midi keyboard, you can change the octave with the Z and X keys.

Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat » Wed May 22, 2024 12:43 am

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm new to Ableton so I hope I am answering your questions correctly. I am using Ableton 11 suite I just purchased. The drums are on the keyboard and they do respond to my midi keyboard. No notes show up on the actual midi display. I could manually add notes onto the midi view but I was hoping to have the demo loop appear "as is" on the midi display as well as in a clip that I could move around in scenes. Is that possible? Thank you!

cids

Post by cids » Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 pm

Are you sure that this clip isn't audio but actual midi? Best to look in the midi clips in this pack.

I've checked the drum rack you're looking at, there's an audio file associated with this rack just to give you a preview of how the samples in this Drum Rack actually sound, this is not a midi clip
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma & macOS Sequoia

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat » Wed May 22, 2024 4:16 pm

Hi. I did check to see if it was Audio and it was not, but now I am second guessing myself. I will double check to make sure when I get back to my computer. Thank you for the suggestion, it makes perfect sense.

Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat » Wed May 22, 2024 4:58 pm

Tried to insert it into a new audio clip and it did not work. I think its as you said and this is just not meant to be used as a loop. Thank you again for your help.

cids

Post by cids » Wed May 22, 2024 5:00 pm

It is a preset of a drum rack
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma & macOS Sequoia

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

Curious Cat

Post by Curious Cat » Wed May 22, 2024 5:13 pm

Thank you.