Workflow: Ableton Mixing => Push 3S Performance

Discuss Push with other users.
Clint Goss

Workflow: Ableton Mixing => Push 3S Performance

Post by Clint Goss » Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 pm

I'm struggling to find a smooth workflow for taking a track mixed in Ableton Arrangement view to clips that perform well on a Push 3 Standalone. Hoping for some sage advice ...

My Arrangement has 30-ish tracks and 12 sections. I group the tracks into 5 groups for the tracks I want on the Push 3S, and want the sections to become scenes, so that can be looped at will during live performance / jamming. My approach is to render each of the 12 sections, and then to import the rendered group tracks into another Session View Ableton project for transfer to the Push 3S.

* Is there a way to render only the groups ... and not all the tracks that they contain? I am currently rendering [All Individual Tracks] and it is slow and produces a *lot* of unnecessary files.

* I am having to render each of the 12 sections explicitly by hand by highlighting them, which takes forever. Is there a faster (hopefully one-shot) approach for all sections?

Any advice appreciated ...

braduro

Re: Workflow: Ableton Mixing => Push 3S Performance

Post by braduro » Thu May 23, 2024 3:53 pm

One idea might be to drag clustered of selected tracks into your current project folder in the browser. Then create a new session comprising of only those groups you need on the standalone. Or save as, and first pull whatever supporting tracks you don’t want on the push out of those groups.

But a group track without embedded tracks would not retain any meaning in the sense that it wouldn’t contain a sound source

Clint Goss

Post by Clint Goss » Thu May 23, 2024 4:12 pm

braduro wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:53 pm
... create a new session comprising of only those groups you need on the standalone.
How interesting! (and THANKS for the suggestion).

I'm actually going in a different route ... and I've found a few things that do help considerably:
  • Adding a track in arrangement view up top that has only MIDI clips with the names of my sections. I can then click on each of those clips in turn, hit ctrl-L, and select that section (more easily than moving the loop markers manually).
  • Grouping the tracks that I want to export together, and then selecting those groups and exporting [Selected Tracks Only] in the [Rendered Tracks] menu of the [Render] window. This lets me get exactly the clips that I need for the Push 3, and is much faster.

braduro

Post by braduro » Sun May 26, 2024 12:20 pm

Well played!

Yeah, I was trying to constrain to vertical in session mode for you. That was tight.

Yes, loop shortcut to selection is definitely your friend.

Interesting: the render approach then leaves you with the running clips? Whereas my approach leaves you with the cluster of tracks. Less need for motor skills with the menu options. If it doesn’t already have a shortcut, I know you can make an app-level keystroke shortcut for it in OSX