Sidechaining--How to do it in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adfish

Sidechaining--How to do it in Live?

Post by adfish » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:38 pm

I have a Waves C1 that I would like to use in Live, but I can't figure out the routing setup. I've read a few posts regarding this, but I still can't get this to work. I can't figure out how to get the kick to the sidechain and compress what needs compressing. If you have any advice, I'd love to hear how you do it.
I've got Compressor II's sidechain to work, but I've been told it's not a true sidechain as far as that goes...

Thank you--love the program/forum/etc.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:50 pm

I'd like to know as well.
I thought the Waves plugins weren't supported by live? They don't show in mine.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi not a long time ago i have made a big sidechain tutorial..u can look at it here - http://audiostation.blogspot.com/

atomic

Post by atomic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:59 pm

there is also a tutorial included with live 5.02 if you look in the lessons section of the help menue.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:11 pm

oh interesting, I had used this concept with orange vocoder but it never accured to me to try it on compression, definetly interesting results. thanks...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:33 am

So you can't do sidechaining with the compressor in live eh? What would be the best compressor vst to get in order to sidechain?

Thanks

stinky

Waves only does sidechaining with PT TDM

Post by stinky » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:04 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe waves sidechaining is only supported in TDM. Doesn't work in VST or RTAS. I would suggest using another vst effects unit that supports sidechaining. I can recommend Kjaerhus, offhand, as I know it works well with Live. Pretty cheap for the GUP, and it works like a charm. Cheers.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/purchase.php

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:14 am

my god - I just posted this exact question before I saw this thread!!

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:16 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:I'd like to know as well.
I thought the Waves plugins weren't supported by live? They don't show in mine.
you need at least waveshell 4.01 - but the 5 upgrade was free (for me it was) which work, but if not the 4.01.dll was a free download

forge

Re: Waves only does sidechaining with PT TDM

Post by forge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:49 am

any free ones for those of us who own expensive bundles like waves and dont want to spend more?

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:49 am

Shoma wrote:Hi not a long time ago i have made a big sidechain tutorial..u can look at it here - http://audiostation.blogspot.com/
Hey Shoma, I just read your tutorial and you can do it with live - basically do exactly what you did for Cubase SX, create an audio track to use as a group, route the kick and bass to that track panned hard left and right (you will also need to create a track to route the kick from impulse to then route THAT track to the sidechain group) panning the kick hard left and set "key" to L>R and use a Send for the output from the kick so you can hear it

you will need to use a couple of utility plug-ins on the group track and send to make it mono or it will be panned hard right or hard left

so, based on impulse for the kick:

1.create audio track and route the impulse kick to it
2. create a group track and place a C1 SC on it with the key set to "L>R" and place a Utility plug in after the C1 set to "mono"
3. route the kick track to the sidechain track and pan it hard left
4. Route the bass track to the sidechain track and pan it hard right
5. create an empty return track and place another utility set to mono
6. turn the send on the kick track for the rtn you just created all the way up

I also added a couple of saturators to beef up the sound, that is up to the user, but this method works!

obviously this is only for mono sidechaing, which is fine for kick and bass, if any one has any ideas for any fancy stereo versions I'm all ears!

Martyn

Re: Waves only does sidechaining with PT TDM

Post by Martyn » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:34 pm

forge wrote: any free ones for those of us who own expensive bundles like waves and dont want to spend more?
http://www.ismusic.ne.jp/slim_slow_slider/vst/

Theres a S/C gate amongst those plugs as well, they're not the most amazing compressors in the world but definately do the job well enough for some uses.

http://www.chunkware.com/vanilla/ this one works well, no gui yet, I'm not sure if development is still ongoing on this one.

There are a few others, those KJaerhus plugins are amazing, much better than Waves imho, but then I've never been a fan, Waves are a LOT of money for what they are.

I wish Ableton would make some sidechain FX, I've broached the subject many many times in the wishlist.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:58 pm

read shomas tutorial - well worth a read.

I'm using the waves one as we speak very nicely sidechained in a bootleg I'm doing and it sounds like pure house music

it makes alot of bloody sense really as it sorts out the number one mixing rule of conflicting frequencies not fighting. Kick and bass both have so much more power when they have their own space

I'm just amazed I havent really explored this way of doing it alot more alot sooner, I've always just done it manually

Another thing I found interesting is, that good ol' audio swiss army knife FLStudio already does it!

THat program amazes me, yet I never use it! It can do so much, I just seem to always prefer using live + plug-ins.

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Ok, it's a bit more complicated to sidechain with live's compressor, correct? What's the best vst compressor for a mac? Thanks...

forge

Post by forge » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:21 am

zfigz wrote:Ok, it's a bit more complicated to sidechain with live's compressor, correct? What's the best vst compressor for a mac? Thanks...
well it's jut the live sidechain isnt a proper sidechain - it just does it according to EQ not to another signal input