Pioneer DJM-800 Midi Mappable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JohnDP

Pioneer DJM-800 Midi Mappable

Post by JohnDP » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 am

Hi there, Pioneer just released a follow up to the Pioneer DJM-600 called DJM-800 and available in March...

It has nearly all surface controls, from faders to buttons mappable in MIDI and it is way more compcat that a Xone 3D, thus interesting to watch!

http://www.djdeals.com/pioneerDJM800.htm

Enjoy[/url]

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:46 am

could maybe compete with the 92 but no where near the 3d
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:45 am

Interesting. I can see a situation where the 3d and this are the mixers you find as the house mixer in clubs....you then just choose a set mapped out for these mixers when you start Live up.

It would be great for the Abes to include controller profiles in Live. Can't be that hard to implement.

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:52 am

I think they missed a golden opportunity with this to get in on the laptop DJ action. Touting features like Auto Harmonic Correction is wasted on the majority of Ableton users as very few people warp their tracks using the turntable-style pitch warp, so the tracks will stay in whatever key they were created in.
Check out my latest mix:-
http://www.mixdepot.net/OutOfMySystem

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:59 am

> Touting features like Auto Harmonic Correction is wasted on the
> majority of Ableton users as very few people warp their tracks
> using the turntable-style pitch warp

I'd say the opposite is true. Re-pitch is by far the best sounding option when warping long (non-pitch critical) files, like entire tracks. All of th other options either result in warbling bass and/or kick flamming.

Not that I'd find AHC useful either - !!! - just chucking in my 2c.

Dan

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:01 pm

DISUYE wrote:> Touting features like Auto Harmonic Correction is wasted on the

I'd say the opposite is true. Re-pitch is by far the best sounding option when warping long (non-pitch critical) files, like entire tracks. All of th other options either result in warbling bass and/or kick flamming.

Dan
I very rarely use repitch for djing , but it does depend on what you play.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:42 pm

Interesting, though I doubt I'd use AHC either.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 pm

robin wrote:
DISUYE wrote:> Touting features like Auto Harmonic Correction is wasted on the

Dan
I very rarely use repitch for djing , but it does depend on what you play.
me neither. If it doesn't sound right i just transpose the clip, but I don't save it transposed.

DonStone

Post by DonStone » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:44 pm

I can say that Pioneer has really impressed me with this mixer.

Let's see, half the size and price of the A&H, a few less midi functions, ALOT more effects. Pioneer seems to be better.

If it sounds almost as good as the 1000 and everything works the way it's supposed to, this will def. be my next mixer.

I have a feeling you will see ALOT of these installed in clubs real soon.

The only thing missing is some play, stop, loop in & loop out buttons.

oh, and I also only use re-pitch when warping tracks. It makes it sound more natural and more like DJing.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 pm

DonStone wrote:I can say that Pioneer has really impressed me with this mixer.

Let's see, half the size and price of the A&H, a few less midi functions, ALOT more effects. Pioneer seems to be better.

If it sounds almost as good as the 1000 and everything works the way it's supposed to, this will def. be my next mixer.

The only thing missing is some play, stop, loop in & loop out buttons.

oh, and I also only use re-pitch when warping tracks. It makes it sound more natural and more like DJing.
+1

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 pm

DonStone wrote:I can say that Pioneer has really impressed me with this mixer.

+1

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote="robin"][quote="DISUYE"]> Touting features like Auto Harmonic Correction is wasted on the

Dan[/quote]

I very rarely use repitch for djing , but it does depend on what you play.[/quote]

Well I play music where bass & kick drums are quite important; repitch is the best option. honestly, if you really bothered to check, the other options sounds like dogs balls.

D

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Can't wait to get my unit next week, expect a full review @ www.Abletonlivedj.com 8)
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:59 pm

The A&H looks more like a permanent installed solution for turntables, cd players, and laptop computers. It is certainly not portable.

I am getting one for my home setup ASAP. It will replace my Xone 62 and Evolution MIDI controller for Ableton, and my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile.

Plus.... anything made by Pioneer will be second rate compared to A&H. It's like comparing BMW to Volkswagon.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 pm

subterFUSE wrote:The A&H looks more like a permanent installed solution for turntables, cd players, and laptop computers. It is certainly not portable.

I am getting one for my home setup ASAP. It will replace my Xone 62 and Evolution MIDI controller for Ableton, and my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile.

Plus.... anything made by Pioneer will be second rate compared to A&H. It's like comparing BMW to Volkswagon.
I don't know. I kinda think the 3D is a portable solution. Think about the fact that it is your sound card and your midi interface all in one. Admittedly, it is a bigger unit than a small keyboard and a card interface into your laptop, but for what you get, its pretty much everything you need. And most importantly, it gives you playing options w/ Live that no other gear has as an all in one solution.

I'm going to check this thing out on Saturday to a reality check on its size. It always helps to actually see it in real life.

rob.