setting up a clip to toggle

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

setting up a clip to toggle

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 am

sorry for the double post, but i need a quick answer on this one, and the "tips & tricks" forum is not quite as reactive....

so here we go again:
let's say i have a clip (#1) playing in session view. i want to launch another clip (#2) on the same track by pressing an assigned midi key, and have this clip (#2) repeated as long as the key is pressed, and as soon as i release the key, have clip #1 play again (i don't want to hae to press anything to have #1 playing again).
how would YOU do that?

thanks for helping a poor cripple (broke my left arm snowboarding, and i have a gig in 2 weeks... :? )

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:29 am

For starters, this question is in loads of recents posts.

Second, all that info is in the manual.

Third, read the bloody manual.

Thanks

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:50 am

mrweasel wrote:For starters, this question is in loads of recents posts.

Second, all that info is in the manual.

Third, read the bloody manual.

Thanks
Ah, shut it you weasel. :roll:

If you have the answer then just share it, it would have taken as much time as being a smart arse just did. Then we have it in a more flexible online format to maybe go in the tips/tricks sticky

PEEEDDRROO! where you been all this time?!

without trying what if you set the follow action to "previous", quantise to "none" and legato on? would that work?

Have you asked the covert op twins?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:05 am

hey forge!
thanks for your answer... i've haven't posted a lot recently... too much bad attitude on this forum lately (see what i mean mrweasel?).

so yes, i've tried to set up follow actions but with no luck.
the problem is that when you use follow actions on clip #2, you have to set a time after which clip #1 will play. what i want, is that clip #2 plays as long as the triggering key is held, and clip #1 plays as soon as the key is released.
i'm not sure this is feasible.

KX

Post by KX » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:13 am

yeah, man this question is kinda interestig & worth answering
So who can help? :idea:

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:14 am

you just inspired me to go back to the manual and have a look - follow actions is something I've given way too little attention to I think, I read it and mr weasel will be pleased to hear I am no wiser - it's not exactly an easy concept to grasp at face value....

the trigger mode should be set to gate - that way it will stop when you let go, but as for how to get it to go back to the next clip....I dont know - I guess you just have to have the other clip on the key next to it so it's easy to trigger and just have the incidental one set to gate - maybe both to legato also

ANdreas? Bjorn? you out there?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:20 am

11.6.1 Looping Parts of a Clip
Let's say that you want to play a longer clip, but then you want only the last eight bars to
loop. You can set this up using Follow Actions:
1. Drag the clip into the Arrangement View and make sure that the Clip View's
Loop switch is not activated. Use the Edit menu's Split command to split the clip
between the non-looping and looping parts.

2. Click and drag the resulting two clips into the Session View by letting the mouse
cursor hover over the Session View selector. Drop the two clips into a track. They
now form a Follow Action group.
that bit in bold I dont quite understand - if you have turned loop off then where is the looping part?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:24 am

forge wrote:
11.6.1 Looping Parts of a Clip
Let's say that you want to play a longer clip, but then you want only the last eight bars to
loop. You can set this up using Follow Actions:
1. Drag the clip into the Arrangement View and make sure that the Clip View's
Loop switch is not activated. Use the Edit menu's Split command to split the clip
between the non-looping and looping parts.

2. Click and drag the resulting two clips into the Session View by letting the mouse
cursor hover over the Session View selector. Drop the two clips into a track. They
now form a Follow Action group.
that bit in bold I dont quite understand - if you have turned loop off then where is the looping part?
OK if I take it to mean the part you WANT TO loop, then that text would suggest it automatically assigns the follow actions when you drag it like that - it doesn't but It should!

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:25 am

maybe a little drawing will help....

clip #2 ............................._______________________
clip #1 ___________________|..................................|_____________________
...............no action..............key triggered and held......key released

all this with no quantization, or very small (don't want to have to wait for 1 bar before clip #1 plays back again).....

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 am

oh I get what you mean (just deviated a little there as I was reading the manual)

But I dont know how to get the other to retrigger

was wondering if you could some how set up a workaround using velocity plug-in or something to tell it to act on a note off - just a mad stab in the dark I have no idea how that plug-in works - but if you could tell it to act on a midi note off iit would solve your problem - like if you could somehow set your midi assignments to receive on note on for one and note off for the other

can midi yoke/midi ox do anything like that?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:44 am

also, I was just trying it by actually setting the controller for the first clip and setting the follow to 0 0 1 so it goes on to the next clip straight away - so now the only thing is making the second clip go back to the first when you let go

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:00 pm

ive got fairly close to what you want peeddrroo

put two clips on a track in succession and set the clip quantize value to NONE

assign the keyboard "s" key to the second clip.

on the second clip set follow actions to previous and the time to: 0:1:0

on the second clip switch Legato on

play the first clip then hit "s" and this will play the second clip then continue to hit "s" until you dont want the second clip to play anymore and once you let go, it will play the previous clip.

enjoy

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:06 pm

Interesting... can't find a quick answer.

How easy if there was an "at release" option for follow actions.
Not off. Guess it has to be handled outside Live to trigger something Live may respond to.

Edit: SJ, missed your replay :oops:

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:09 pm

It proved to be an interesting post in the end but still, I maintain that looking in a manual before posting doesn't hurt.

This is the way I see things, in order not to clutter forums with the same info.

1-open manual PDF file
2-Press Ctrl+F /Apple+F to start a search
3-ype a keyword (eg. trigger)

4-If no solution is there or the manual still seems unclear, then do a search in the forum for your subject, if if it's been addressed several times, use the most relevant thread if there is one and continue it.

5-Search in the forum and the manual was unsuccessful create a new post.

That's the way I do it. Don't mean to sound anal but it really prevents cluttering forums + it helps centralising information on forums (and therefore improves searches within the forum for those who take the time to do so).

I mean how many posts do you see in this forum that are unanswered because people didn't bother doing any search at all. If those posts are unanswered, it's because most users would generally agree with the "research b4 post" policy.

Anyways. That was my little rant.
At the same time, I appreciate the high degree of helpfulness from the members of this forum.

Have a good day

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:10 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
on the second clip set follow actions to previous and the time to: 0:1:0

on the second clip switch Legato on
The second clip still breaks off before the key is released if clip is longer than 0:1:0, no?

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/