Free PC joystick>MIDI utility

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hambone1

Free PC joystick>MIDI utility

Post by hambone1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Lots of creative options with this.

http://otk.it/mjoy/

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm downloading right now - look nicer than what I've tried before.

Cheers,
Mikael

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 am

looks great, been looking for something like this. i've got a converter to hook up a ps2 dualshock joypad to the pc, but have never been able to find a decent prog to use with it. tried one called LiveSticks but it was poor...

cheers for the link man!

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:42 pm

a duth institue for electronic music, called steim, created a similar software program

junXion © v2:

junXion © is a software tool to process incoming data from USB devices (joysticks, touchscreens, mice) and MIDI devices using conditional processing and remapping. The outputted data can be routed to other MIDI controllable music and sound software or hardware.

www.steim.org

pascal79

Post by pascal79 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi guys
junXion © v2: looks very good ! I'll try it .

I'm on Tiger 10.4.3

Let's Rock _\m/

epiphanius

Can someone help me get started with mjoy?

Post by epiphanius » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 am

Can someone help me get started with mjoy, or any of several other joy to midi converters, to work with Live under Windows XP?

I'm on Windows xp, and would like to use a Saitek p880 controller. I have installed midiyoke, and have set up Mjoy's input and output both to Midiyoke #1. I have enabled midiyoke #1 in live both as an in and an out. I have chosen different controller/midi numbers in mjoy for X, Y and Z. Live does not recognize midi input (top right midi indicator) when i move controllers on the gamepad.

I have also tried:

midijoy
bidule
maxmsp runtime + joy2midi play2live
joystickctrl
Rejoice.
and others.

Anyone using a gamepad on XP to control live? I have spent days on this, and have read every word on the subject in this forum several times at least.

Cheers,

e.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:24 pm

do you see midi activity in midiyoke?

Go into prefts and click the box that says 'track' if you are trying to send notes to a softsynth and/or 'remote' if you are trying to send ccs.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:27 am

Thanks for the reply. Only now (after starting this reply), have I started to get mjoy to even respond to the gamepad. It's really mjoy which I don't understand, but at least I can now make it light up. It wasn't responding previously. I wish there was a help file of some kind.

If you have time, could you post a screenshot of your mjoy config? It seems that each line in the 'preset manager' window represents one item in a total config.

Do you need a row for each midi msg that you want to send? I think this is so.

I can't figure out how to use the "+", "x" and 'squiggly arrow' buttons in mjoy. Sometimes the + saves a whole row, other times just a subset. I am lost here.

When I try to assign a note or cc and hit the 'save' icon, it is not consistently saving my changes.

I will continue to twiddle with mjoy, before seeing if I can then get cc's and notes to Live.

Your response encouraged me to try again.

Onward!

e.

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 am

I've used rejoice with midi yoke, and it worked like a charm with my saitek p880 controller. Do you have the latest drivers for the p880?

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:03 pm

I couldn't get mjoy to work either, but rejoice works just fine, also Plogue Bidule.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:12 am

>>Do you have the latest drivers for the p880?

Yup, although they are over a year old, they are the latest. It might work better without drivers...

I can get rejoice 1.6 to recognize controllers, but I cannot, for the life of me, get it to save a midi note, which is kind of essential.

Could either of you successful Rejoice users email me a config file at:

epiphanius.geo@[NOSPAM]yahoo.com ? One that has notes mapped, in particular ?

I would be obliged. There is a help file for rejoice, but nothing in the way of a forum, for example.

Thanks for any help in this regard,

e.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:56 pm

I'll try to send a file later today, but here's what you need to do:

Select the MIDI yoke from the pulldown you want to use.
Select the joystick you want to use.
Press 'Calibrate' for your joystick
Move around/press some buttons on the joystick, make sure it is indicated as active.
Center the stick, press 'Calibrate' again to clear the inputs.
Select radio button for 'Note On' to the right.
Enter the MIDI note value you want to send (say '60')
Press a button for triggering the note.
Press 'Add'.
You will see it in the list. pressing that button will now send the note to the yoke in question.
You can add more settings (notes/cc) in the same manner.
'Export' the settings saves it as a config.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 am

Mikemc:

Well, thanks for your perseverance.

I had more or less followed those directiions the other night, when I could add cc's but not notes. I had to have the cursor in the "button" field, or nothing would appear when I pressed a button on the gamepad; and I hadn't tried the calibrate button.

Now I can't get Rejoice to recognize any button input from the gamepad whatsoever (joysticks are recognized). At least I could add buttons before, if only as CC's. Maybe a reboot will change this, but that's two major issues so far .

I'm happy to try Bidule, as you mentioned it. I'll do some research on how to set it up. I appreciate your help with this.

Cheers,

e.

palomo

Post by palomo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:48 am

hello epiphanius

I have saw that you have try joystickctrl
http://vinuesa.club.fr/projet-flou/engl ... ckctrl.htm

what issue have you encountered with it?

maybe I can help you (I'm the author)

it did'nt win the "miss plugin 2005 contest " ;-) but I use it with live 3 and midi yoke since 2 years now without problems

the current version not recognize gamepad
I'm currently working on the next version I have already add it (and a lot of new features)

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi Palomo -

In truth, I didn't give your app a very thorough try - I loaded it up, could not get a response from my joystick and gave up. The least effort I put into any of the apps. I will give it a thorough try tonight, after work.

Cheers,

e.