Anyone using Wiretap (OSX) ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skinnyjap

Anyone using Wiretap (OSX) ?

Post by skinnyjap » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:11 am

I'm using Wiretap to capture audio from Virsyn Tera to use in Live - but I can't import the file, as Live says it uses a compression format that is not recognised, or unsupported. I have compression set to 'Off' in the Wiretap options...

Anyone know what's up here ?

Thanks.

utm

Post by utm » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:25 pm

It might be a problem with the way the file header is formed (or some other voodoo) try opening the file first in a wave editing progrma like Peak or Spark (Or whatever you have used to edit your loops that you know works with Live) then Save As... from that and see if the resulting file works better. If it does, then contact Ambrosia's forum about Wiretap. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:49 pm

I used to convert the Wire Tap file to an Aiff in iTunes. Worked fine after that.

AudioHijack is far better. It's not free but pisses on Wire Tap.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:00 pm

i've used both and personally, wiretap is farrrr better at doing something that simple. hijack is contrived to execute such a simple rask.

SkinnyJap, the answer is simple (I had the same issue), turn the compression off in in the preference pane. Save as either the default (AIFF) or Wave and you can drag and drop to your hearts content.

skinnyjao

Post by skinnyjao » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:27 am

hmmm... pretty sure that's what I'm doing at the moment.

will double, triple check.

cheers.

skinnyjap

Post by skinnyjap » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:53 pm

Aha - on the Ambrosia Software messge boards, from the developer :

(in the forthcoming v 1.0.1 Wiretap)
WireTap should now be able to properly create "AIFF" files (as opposed to AIFC files) if the chosen compression method is "none". Some programs apparently cannot read AIFC files when the sound data contained therein is uncompressed, and others cannot read AIFC files at all.
I guess Live has issues with these AIFC files (assumes they're compressed, even when there is no compression used).

Should just be able to change the extension on the files from AIFC to AIF in the meantime, pending the updated version of Wiretap.

utm

Post by utm » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:12 pm

There you go!

Ambrosia's such nice people.