Live 5 and Novation Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glu

Post by glu » Tue May 23, 2006 11:16 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote: I work amongst a bunch of cubicles, I like walking around listening to Ministry, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Sabbath, NIN on my headphones... funny juxtoposition 'cause I work with a bunch of geeks (I got it good though).
Thats totally me! Hahaha.. It does make it feel better being there.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 pm

Anyone been able to get the modulation wheel in NI FM7 or Pro 53 working within the Ableton automap template? and if so, how? any help would be apreciated!
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

debu

Post by debu » Tue May 23, 2006 5:25 pm

has anyone had troubles with the template editor? I get a buffer overrun everytime I have it search for plugins. I'm guessing this is caused by a incompatible plugin?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Jackthehouse wrote:Does this automap function also exist for the novation x-station?
thx
nope, but the SL doesn't make ANY sounds. X-Station is supposed to be a good piece of kit.

Jackthehouse

Post by Jackthehouse » Tue May 23, 2006 10:42 pm

[quote="DeadlyKungFu"][quote="Jackthehouse"]Does this automap function also exist for the novation x-station?
thx[/quote]
nope, but the SL doesn't make ANY sounds. X-Station is supposed to be a good piece of kit.[/quote]

yep, but you can use it as midicontroller too, so I was hoping there was one for the x station too... too bad :cry:

Peza

Post by Peza » Wed May 24, 2006 9:51 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote :
Under 'Remote Control Surfaces' Set the SL in all 3 boxes (control, inuput, output). On mine, sometimes in the midi in/out boxes Live only has 'USB device' listed and sometimes Live loses the settings. Resetting them works out ok.
Hi, new to the forum but read this and thought you might not know, if you stick to using the same USB port on your comp the SL always gets recognised as a 'Remote SL' in your midi preferences.
Still getting to grips with my SL but loving it!

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Peza wrote:if you stick to using the same USB port on your comp the SL always gets recognised as a 'Remote SL' in your midi preferences.
Still getting to grips with my SL but loving it!
Nope and sometimes the settings under Preferences get lost, I have to go back in and set the MIDI in/out. It's a bug.

Most of the time it's recognised as Remote SL but it has nothing to do with always using the same port.

Peza

Post by Peza » Wed May 24, 2006 7:03 pm

Strange. I had the same problem but found that if you open Live without your SL connected yes, you lose your settings. If you open Live with SL connected to a different USB port, it appears as USB1 or USB2. But when you stay in the same USB port and only open Live with your SL connected everything works as it should. Try it, I may be wrong but i've had no problems since I stuck to the same port.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed May 24, 2006 8:30 pm

The [1] and [2] devices are for daisy chaining. When I sync my laptop to a friend's setup I connect via my SL into his MIDI box, I sync to USB[2] while my SL is USB[1].

kosotodeluxe

Post by kosotodeluxe » Thu May 25, 2006 10:08 am

I think the only time I've have a preference problem is when I boot without having the SL connected. Other than that it's always worked as I've expected.

I'm thinking that this might be a Windows problem?

Another thought, before Live had automap, you could DL a templete that you needed to initially open in live as a new document. Then you saved that templete in the last tab of the preference pane. I think that might be worth a try.

Edit:

I've been using the USB1/USB2 options for sending different messages to different software. So Live could get USB1 and a different app could get messages to from USB2. That way you can hybrid your templetes.

Like I've mentioned earlier, I don't use Automap.

Furtermore I'm starting to think that it would be wiser to make templetes (and label them) specific to songs and not to devices. But now I'm talking about efficencey, production and workflow.
But is that not what the SL is all about?

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Thu May 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Is anyone using a Remote SL with an Intel Mac? All the functions work?
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

dpmtl

Post by dpmtl » Thu May 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Greetings.

Could someone confirm that the automap bug is with live and not the SL25. The one where you can't select your previous vst after adding another.

I'm just about to reinstall everything on a fresh system. I had problems with the installation of the software for the remote. Namely the os update.

Basically the os update failed but only when i deselected the template update beforehand. Weird. It only worked if i updated the templates as well.

Anyone else have similar problems with the installation?

How are people finding the SL as a controller regardless of the bugs?

Is it a bug with the template editor when you import your vst settings and all your cc's are 0? I can't see the use of that :?:

Whats the integration like with hardware? Seamless? Flawless?

Now for the big one:

Should i contact tech support? 8O
I mix my tunes with wood spoons

dpmtl

Post by dpmtl » Sat May 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Anyone?

Or have my questions been answered elsewhere? If so my bad, i find it quicker to post than go searching through the forum but isn't half the reason for posting to help other users anyway? I haven't used mine for a while so i haven't been keeping track of developments. If any one knows one way or the other about the ableton bug could they tell me? Much appreciated.

Peace, tjp.
I mix my tunes with wood spoons

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun May 28, 2006 5:53 am

I think I remmember having this problem too. I have only used it with Live. Haven't opened Logic in ages.

palimpsest73

Post by palimpsest73 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:08 am

Whats the integration like with hardware? Seamless? Flawless?
I haven't had much luck using sysex to control my Alpha Juno, but that may be due to something I'm overlooking when writing out the strings--Novation's documentation is very unspecific about sysex msgs, and it covers it in a very cursory way, deferring to the web 'answerbase' and the glossary for further explanation (not much there either mind you)

perhaps Novation was banking that users would generally not delve too deep into more esoteric control functions(?) I can't really say... I will say the thing (mostly) works, but automap definitely seems to have some teething issues. Using presets for VSTs works well, and assigning CCs and the like is quite straightforward.

I can't help but think that the SL is long on concept and bit short on delivery. I think it will get better with updates, but for now expect to do lots of tweaking to make it work for you.
Now for the big one:

Should i contact tech support?
I plan on contacting them on a Cubase automap issue, but that can wait since I seldom make use of Cubase these days.

I think their support site stinks. That 'answerbase' is bogus, it's basically just a FAQ, nothing useful besides anything but the most general of questions.

I for one think a user forum would be useful, but I'm guessing Novation won't go for it--Since these products are dependent on compatibilty with host software, it would be very easy to peg these bugs as Live compatibilty issues, and hence, not hardware related.
MBP C2D 2.26 GHz, OS 10.6.2, 4 GB, Live 8.1.1
MBP C2D 2.4 GHz, OS 10.5.5, 4 GB, Live 8.1.1